Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

What to expect from a child's social worker visit?

(5 Posts)
LS2142 Thu 03-Nov-16 15:25:19

Just that really, we have a visit next week and wondered what people's experiences were?

Stevemcqueenlikesbeans Thu 03-Nov-16 18:15:07

For you to show that you've really considered how and why you can meet this individual childs needs, that you've understood the implications of their history and background as laid out in the CPR and for you have questions for them, it's very much a two way process.

Good luck.

MintyLizzy9 Thu 03-Nov-16 18:24:32

We had a general chat where he mainly talked about DS and I listened. He went through the basics that were in the CPR but also shared lots of detail that wasn't for eg what birth family looked like, what they were like in general, lots of not very pleasant stuff but also some nice things basically info I can share with DS when the times comes that gives him an idea of what they were like and how much he was loved (nothing like this in the CPR). I was lucky in that he was the CP SW so had meet the birth family a number of times and appeared to know them well so I gleamed a lot of detail not included in the paperwork. I asked a few questions on the back of what he was telling me including if he had any concerns re me that he would like to discuss and I had some questions based on what was in the CPR that I had prepped in advance. He stayed a couple of hours and had a look around the house and off he went.

My SW later told me he called her to say that it was lovely to see that I had a framed pic of DS already up and how I talked about him as if he was already with me so things like would you like to see mini mints room, I've fitted the stair gates as I believe mini mint is still a little unsteady on his feet etc etc.

Best of luck!

MintyLizzy9 Thu 03-Nov-16 18:27:08

Just to add I was the only potential adoptor he was talking to and DS was considered to have no additional needs other than the usual IUSWIM

luckylucky24 Fri 04-Nov-16 15:57:06

For us the social worker wanted to see her room and to see if we had any questions or concerned. We were pulled into a meeting the following day because the social worker after a 20 minute meeting as a total stranger in my house felt we were not excited enough.

Be excited!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now