Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

What to ask new school

(8 Posts)
Thefishewife Wed 28-Sep-16 15:10:36

Well it's that time of year dd is 3.5 starting school next year been doing the rounds but not sure what to ask so far

Have you any experience with adopted children at the school
Do your teachers have attachment training
Are you open to working together to decide how to spend the PP

Can't think of anything else in relation to adoption to ask

RatherBeIndoors Wed 28-Sep-16 19:42:03

I was advised to ask:

Can I meet the SENCO and have a chat?
What's your behaviour management policy and how do you modify it for children with attachment needs?
Can we be flexible about morning drop offs, I.e. Can I stay if LO is distressed?
Can you give me some examples of the ways you've used PP?

The first two were things I'd never have thought to ask, but were enlightening and ruled out one school completely based on their replies

greenandblackssurvivalkit Wed 28-Sep-16 20:14:35

Going by threads on here:

"What is your discipline policy, and how do you modify it for children who have issues with shame?"

crispandcheesesanwichplease Wed 28-Sep-16 20:26:30

Agree with Ratherbeindoors.

Also, do they have a nurture group and what specific role does the Learning Mentor have with regard to adopted/looked after children.

Thefishewife Thu 29-Sep-16 19:53:23

Thanks ladies

Behaviour policey won't really apply to dd she is over compliant due to chronic shyness she pretty much dose what she's asked at school

She not like that at home though 😁She finds the coming and going of students and Diffrent adults diffcult so putters about quitey plays with the other children but in two years we have not one behaviour indecent with her not one

But I will ask about the nature group

greenandblackssurvivalkit Thu 29-Sep-16 22:00:23

Our school's system of public and collective punishment is actually awful for the anxious compliant ones. The anxious compliant ones get upset by whole class negatives, and then don't see why it's the 'naughty' ones who get the individual praise while they're over looked.

The behaviour policy affects every child, whatever sort you have, and adopted children especially.

memememememe Thu 29-Sep-16 22:06:44

Are you willing to modify the content of teaching to take into account traumatised children?

Our school has been trying to make content more interesting to boys and focus on gory aspects eg pulling brains out of bodies prior to mummification. Injuries suffered by soldiers in war. Etc etc, all prior to age 8.

OlennasWimple Fri 30-Sep-16 00:14:16

Ask what experience they have of the needs of adopted children, specifically attachment.

Ask how they measure the outcomes of PP+ spending (matters more that they know how they are spending the money and can talk about it, not so much their metrics)

Definitely ask about the curriculum, particularly as they will likely do something "family" at some point, to see how they handle sensitive issues (DD's school had "bring in photos to make your own family tree" project on Week 2 of reception angry)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now