Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

Right at the very beginning

(21 Posts)
Christabelle89 Thu 26-May-16 19:00:31

Hi guys,
Just thought I'd kind of introduce myself. Myself and my husband are right at the beginning of our adoption journey. We have just had our first home visit from the social worker and have been told that we shall have to wait about a week to hear back from the agency due to the bank holiday. I think it went really well but there's still a little bit of me that is pretty nervous about hearing their feedback. I guess I just want to be a mum so bad and don't want to fall at the first hurdle. I suppose what will be will be. smile

undersoap Thu 26-May-16 21:03:24

Welcome Christabelle, you will find so much advice and support here. I was in your shoes 17 months ago and have just been matched with my two DC the last few days. We had a few rejections and hurdles to overcome in the early days, but we are SO glad we persevered. Best of luck to you!x

Christabelle89 Fri 27-May-16 15:18:12

Thank you undersoap and congratulations on the match. smile x

SageYourResoluteOracle Fri 27-May-16 17:09:04

Hi! DH and I are literally just starting out too- in fact, I don't even know if he's seen my text (didn't answer Phone) about the email from our LA to say that they've accepted us on to stage 1!! We only submitted the ten page reg of interest form at 2:15 and had heard back within two hours that we can start stage one. I'm bloody terrified now! grin

SpookyRachel Fri 27-May-16 19:15:11

Hi Christabelle and Sage, nice to meet you. I'm one of the old lags, having started on my adoption journey 8 years ago. Hope all goes smoothly for you, and do ask any questions you may have.

SpookyRachel Fri 27-May-16 19:15:50

And congratulations undersoap smile. When do introductions start?

Christabelle89 Sat 28-May-16 09:16:14

wow 2 hours shock that's a big difference from having to wait a week. Congratulations on being accepted onto stage one, hopefully we shall get the same news next week. Have they said anything about what your next step is? I'm just raring to go, over the past few months I've spent the majority of my spare time just reading and researching and trying to fill my brain with adoption knowledge hehe. Thank you Spooky smile

Italiangreyhound Sat 28-May-16 10:41:45

Hi christabell and sage.

Welcome.

We adopted we two years ago and have a birth rd of 11.

If you are interested there is a thread for newbies.

It has sudden bursts of activity and then goes goes quiet but it night be worth a look.

Can"t link as on phone.....

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/adoptions/2092272-Newbies-Part-2?pg=1&order=

Italiangreyhound Sat 28-May-16 10:42:31

Ok er it does link!

Christabelle89 Thu 02-Jun-16 15:47:00

Thanks Italian, will check it out. It has been a week since our first social worker visit and still haven't heard anything from the agency. So nervous.

undersoap Thu 02-Jun-16 17:05:18

Thanks Spooky, about 5 weeks from now which is a terrifying and amazing thought!

Christabelle89 Fri 10-Jun-16 14:15:43

Yea we have finally heard back from the adoption agency and we start the prep course on the 1st of July. Very very excited. smile

mallenpurvis Tue 14-Jun-16 17:07:37

Hi we are also at the very beginning, we've been put forward for the prep course on the 5th July and have received the large set of forms to fill in. Good luck Christabelle89 and Sage. Can anyone give any insights into the prep course please?

Italiangreyhound Tue 14-Jun-16 17:11:49

mallenpurvis the prep course is brilliant, well it was in my area. Go with an open mind, wear something comfortable and enjoy! (What else do you want to know??) and welcome.

Christabelle89 Tue 14-Jun-16 18:16:30

We shall have to compare notes on how our prep courses went wink We've just received our large amount of paperwork through the post today as well so should really get started on it. Don't have a clue how I'm going to remember every address that I've had since birth and the dates at which we moved in/out. Think I shall have to recruit my mum. smile

mallenpurvis Tue 14-Jun-16 19:11:32

We got our paperwork about 10 days ago and have only just managed to figure out my husband family tree (I've had to print it off a website and will hand deliver it) it's also taken this long to get the time lines in order and everybodies dob and dod, just the selfie to do this evening. Keep in touch and let me know how your doing x

tldr Tue 14-Jun-16 19:14:58

Go to prep course ready to listen and join in but with an awareness that you are being watched! (I don't think anything would be unrecoverable at that point, but just be aware.)

If you can, don't plan anything else on prep course days - we were drained. It's a lot to think about.

Carapepi77 Thu 23-Jun-16 22:28:17

We did our prep course in March. A large group of 15, normally only 7/8 in one group at a time. So a lot of competition for us.
Found the course very interesting although a lot of the videos they use are a bit dated but they are working on updating them.
Some of the videos they use are on vimeo and there are others on you tube which will help and well worth the look.
We have our medicals booked, pvg form has been sent off, our references have been contacted and hopefully they won't take weeks to,send them back.
We did our family tree and current support circle with our application which is normally part of the home study and we showed the first social worker that came to the house at the start around the house and we have tried to cover everything they might pick up on regarding safety. We have got rid of any blinds that have cords on them and put all our cleaning materials in a locked cupboard for example.
The only thing we don't have yet is our appointed social worker so haven't officially started our home study yet. Fingers crossed for next week.

Christabelle89 Sun 03-Jul-16 15:00:12

We have completed our stage one prep group. Was a group of 5 couples and you was definitely right about the drained part tldr we just wanted to relax/nap by the time the day was done. I think it was nice to meet other couples that are at the same stage as us but they were all closer to my mums age if not older than my mum and already had grown up children that were the same age as myself and my husband as well as being geographically far from us so we didn't really find any sort of friendships or form any bonds which was a bit disappointing. Also because I've already done so much research and reading into adoption and attachment and stuff there wasn't really any information that was new to me. I think my husband found it really useful though as he hasn't really done much research and luckily for me it hasn't put him off, if anything it has clarified in his mind that this is 100% the way for us to become a family. Now to crack on and book our medicals. :D Hope everyone elses journey is going well?

mallenpurvis Sun 03-Jul-16 15:33:27

Christabelle89 do you only have 1 prep course to go on? We've 4 days 9-4.30 each day. Starting this Tuesday, we've both completed the first4adoption first steps online which opened our eyes to new thoughts of how we might like to take on siblings and all the things the children might have gone through before being adopted it's certainly an eye opener. We've our medicals booked in for the morning of the first day 😴. I'm having issues with sourcing my birth certificate for the DBS checks. I applied a month ago but it's still in the processing stage I really hope this doesn't hold us up. What part of the UK are you from christabelle? (If you'd rather not say I understand)

Christabelle89 Mon 04-Jul-16 12:20:41

We did 2 day course 9-4 and will be doing another 2 day course once we reach stage 2. We also completed the first steps course and you are certainly right about it being an eye opener. I'm also a little worried about DBS holding us up as my passport and driving licence both still have my maiden name on so currently in the process of sorting that out. I'm a Yorkshire lass. wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now