Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

Academies - does anyone know...

(8 Posts)
thefamilyvonstrop Thu 17-Mar-16 14:36:40

How will that affect former LAC children?? Currently, schools have to give LAC and former LAC children priority for admissions. My understanding is that Academies have control of their own admissions and aren't under any local authority control. Does this mean they can weed out or refuse entry to adopted children who may have additional needs that need managing?

MypocketsarelikeNarnia Thu 17-Mar-16 14:52:09

I have worked in several academies all of which had exactly the same admissions process and criteria as la controlled schools.

I suppose in theory it might be an issue locally but I suspect the new academies will just have the same admissions criteria as the schools they replace.

thefamilyvonstrop Thu 17-Mar-16 21:56:21

Thanks mypockets, I'm relieved to hear it.

poppystellar Fri 18-Mar-16 17:09:38

As I understand it the legal position is that all schools (academies or otherwise) are required by their funding arrangements to abide by the DfE admissions code regarding LAC and post LAC children. Additionally it is worth remembering that priority admissions for LAC are the brainchild of this govt (about the only good thing they've done imo!) so I think this makes it even more unlikely that this priority will be removed in the crackpot bid to turn all schools into academies.

Threesocksnohairbrush Fri 18-Mar-16 19:24:52

We are looking at secondary transfer for DS God help us and to date none of the academies in the city have been different in their response from the schools that continue to be maintained, and they all abide by the same admissions code.

I think probably there will be legal protections for LAC, former LAC and kids with EHCPs. Don't know how it will work for kids with milder SEN who are just not terribly 'desirable'.

tethersend Sat 19-Mar-16 15:25:31

Academies (and free schools) have to abide by the admissions code in the same way as all schools do; they must place LAC and former LAC (of the faith if a faith school) as top priority.

One key difference is that if an adopted child is refused a place from a community school, parents have to appeal for a place; if it's an academy, they can request that the Secretary of State direct the academy to admit the child.

UnderTheNameOfSanders Sun 20-Mar-16 20:50:22

Just watch out for faith schools.
They are allowed to put children of faith above non faith LAC.

thefamilyvonstrop Tue 22-Mar-16 11:22:51

Thanks all, much appreciated

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now