Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

changing DS name

(12 Posts)
MintyLizzy9 Thu 25-Feb-16 21:18:11

Hi all

Not sure where the last few weeks have gone but here I am filling out the AO application smile

DS is doing so well and is really starting to catch up, keeping everything crossed that it continues!!

Anyway, up to the whatsits in paperwork this week and I have a question. DS has a new first name, controversial I know but it wasn't my decision to change it, SS told me to for various reasons and DS took to his new name in two days (throwing my well thought out transition plan out the window hmm)

I always assumed that following the AO being granted (fingers crossed) that I would have to change his name via deed poll as only surnames would be changed as part of the adoption paperwork...however...part of the AO application asks what the child will be known by after adoption is finalised, does this mean that the Adoption Cert will have his full new name on (rather than birth first/middle names and new adopted surname)?

im thinking far ahead I know but I want to get his passport asap so I can visit my family and not having to faff with deed poll would be a nice bonus!

Any knowledge or experience would be welcomed grin

researchbookworm Thu 25-Feb-16 23:01:15

We've just had our order granted (yay) and although I'm yet to see the new certificates I received a letter stating that our AC would get a new 'short' birth certificate that states their new name and date of birth with no mention of the adoption or birth family at all. They will also get a second 'long' certificate that shows the full history with their birth name and adopted name. I understand that this long certificate will be needed for certain official forms- passport applications etc, but for school admissions or other less formal matters they will be able to show the short form and won't need to go into their adopted history if they don't want to.
Hope that helps :-)

slkk Thu 25-Feb-16 23:44:32

Hello, new names stated on the adoption application become official new names with no need for deed poll. Long certificate needed for passport also only shows new names. After the adoption order, no paperwork should show birth names.

slkk Thu 25-Feb-16 23:45:55

An congratulations, both of you. Can't believe you're filling in the ao forms already, minty!

MintyLizzy9 Fri 26-Feb-16 05:49:07

Thanks slkk grin

MintyLizzy9 Fri 26-Feb-16 05:53:57

Congrats researchbookworm flowers

Kr1stina Fri 26-Feb-16 17:35:38

Yes, no need for a deed poll, you can change both names at once .

BTW there was a thread elsewhere on MN where a mother wanted to change the first name of her one year child because she didn't like it . There were people saying yes and no and giving their reasons but NOT ONE person said she shouldnt change it because it was " the childs identity " . Not one .

So I think the only place its's controversial is on the adoption threads/ adoption community . Elsewhere people change their names all the time , I know hundreds of people who have done it .

And congratulations on your LOs adoption

researchbookworm Fri 26-Feb-16 23:33:56

Thanks for the congratulations - I'd obviously misunderstood the info I've been given about the long certificate. So what does it have on it to make it longer than the short one then?!
Good luck in your application btw minty!

tldr Sat 27-Feb-16 00:48:22

research I can't remember but I know applying for them was much less of a pain in the arse than I expected it to be! Just thought I'd share that...

slkk Sat 27-Feb-16 09:36:14

It has your names on it.

Kr1stina Sat 27-Feb-16 22:05:41

The short one only has the child's name and date of birth . It's exactly the same for adopted and non adopted children .

The long one has parents names, occupations, address , place of birth , date and place of marriage ( for births) and details of order ( for adoptions ) on it. It's called an " extract of an entry in a register of births " for non adopted children and an " extract of an entry in the adopted childrens register " for adopted kids .

So obviously it gives away the fact that the child is adopted . I have sometimes been successful in using a child passport instead of a birth certificate for official purposes . This worked when registering a child for primary school in one area but not for secondary school in another .

researchbookworm Mon 29-Feb-16 00:37:48

Thanks Kr1stina- v helpful :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now