Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

Missing firsts

(12 Posts)
tldr Tue 19-Jan-16 18:59:16

I know a lot of people considering adoption worry that if they adopt anyone older than a few months that they'll miss all the firsts; first steps, first words and all those important things.

Tonight, my son reached the light switch without his little step for the first time. He was pleased as punch. As am I.

I never expected such an important milestone today. grin

NigelLikesSalad Tue 19-Jan-16 19:10:09

smile Ahh bless. Now he'll drive you bonkers as he'll be putting on a light show everytime he goes by the switch 😂 there are si many firsts through life and every one of those you are there for should be treasured

ChocolateJam Tue 19-Jan-16 19:33:40

Aaaah, just think about all the other things he can now reach! smile

MintyLizzy9 Tue 19-Jan-16 22:04:45

This gave me a big smile grin

It's true, we have all missed a lot of firsts but have hundreds to come and I for one can't flippin wait to experience each and every one!

tldr Wed 20-Jan-16 00:19:46

Aw Minty, you made me smile too. There are so many! There were at least two more today that I noticed, but that he was completely oblivious to, so I reported back to DH instead of high fiving DS.

jam, he could reach everything already because he had his little step. He loved that little step. Carried it everywhere. And now I need to "lose" it.

Tamponlady Wed 20-Jan-16 11:28:26

I have a 16 year old birth son and even now he will have firsts

First kiss

First girlfriend

My husband is very much looking forward to take him for his first pint at 18

tldr Wed 20-Jan-16 11:50:00

Exactly tamponlady

I posted in the vague hope this might cheer on/cheer up anyone thinking about adopting who was struggling to get past the idea of not having a new born.

Threesocksnohairbrush Wed 20-Jan-16 12:38:09

I have just seen DS off on his first residential trip (is there an AARGH emoticon?)

You do also make your own 'firsts', which are very precious because of exactly what they represent. DH and I vividly remember the first time DS called for us in the night, for example. And the time when newly placed toddler DD woke poorly, and as we have cuddles and Calpol a contented look spread over her face as if to say 'Ah, these idiots DO know how to look after me' smile

tldr Wed 20-Jan-16 13:22:46

I want a like button for some of these posts.

HeavyFrost Wed 20-Jan-16 21:52:05

I'm not an adopter, though I lurk to have some insight into adopting friends, but I remember a friend who adopted a toddler bursting into hysterical tears of happiness when I met her one day - because her son, who had been a compliant, docile, terribly obedient little boy since had had come to live with her, had that day felt secure enough to be properly naughty for the first time.

Italiangreyhound Wed 20-Jan-16 22:12:51

Fabulous.

tldr Wed 20-Jan-16 22:39:44

frost
Are you my friend? I did similar.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now