Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

child's social worker visit. Help!

(5 Posts)
nemofishes Wed 16-Dec-15 19:04:19

Hi everyone been reading through lots of the threads and could really do with your help please. We have been matched with a 3 month old little boy and have a home visit from his child care social worker coming up soon. Our adoption social worker said to ask lots and lots of questions and we have been scribbling lists of them but wondered if anyone could please take the time to give us some prompts about questions to ask or share there experience of this process. thank you

MrsH1989 Wed 16-Dec-15 21:23:47

Oh wow how young!
I would be asking things like what his routine is, how he likes to be settled, what milk he drinks, what vaccinations he has had, what size clothes he is in, what soap they use to bath him, does he have sensitive skin (thinking about washing powder)? Cant think of any more as I havent actually adopted yet lol.

MintyLizzy9 Wed 16-Dec-15 21:37:48

How exciting!!!

Things I would ask about are:

Pre natal care
Full term delivery?
Birth, standard?
Medical issues
Medical issues with birth parents
All birth family 'options' for foster care considered
Is he relinquished?
Routine
Current legal position - had PO been granted/next stages (I was linked prior to placement order)
Do they have any concerns/queries about you
Adoption or foster to adopt (given his age)
Any other adopters being considered?
Times scales for decisions on you and official linking meeting/panel

I kept a pad with me prior to my sons SW first visit and kept adding questions as I went along...they pop into your head at the strangest of times smile plus the more you find out the more questions you will have. I took the SW email address and sent more after the meeting once I had digested all he had told me!

Good luck flowers

GirlsWhoWearGlasses Thu 17-Dec-15 06:41:18

Great suggestions above.

I would also ask about birth siblings and how they are doing, plus any proposed contact.

Exciting!

Tokoloshe Thu 17-Dec-15 09:47:10

There are some good suggestions here:
adopterssupportuk.freeforums.net/thread/152/approval-linking

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now