Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

So now I have a 10 year old.

(7 Posts)
Kewcumber Sun 29-Nov-15 19:25:45

How the hell did that happen?!

I remember posting when he was 5 how pleased I was I've managed to get him to five without breaking him and wondering if when he was 15 I would be saying "I can't believe we've managed to get him to 15 without him breaking me!"

Well now he's 10 and we both appear to be intact. It's been a bit of a close call occasionally but we're still here and still happy more often than not and I must admit to nearly bursting when someone at our family wedding last weekend "he's wonderful, you must be so proud of him"

I am. Like all our kids he's coped with so much more than most of us had to at their age and somehow with all his explosive traits he still manages to charm people and be funny and witty and engaging. And what I value most is that he tries so bloody hard. He wants so much to do the right thing and be what people expect of him.

I can't quite remember who I was before him.

gabsdot Sun 29-Nov-15 19:34:59

What a lovely post. My son will turn 12 in a couple of weeks. Both him and his sister have been such blessings.

Hels20 Sun 29-Nov-15 19:38:01

Aah Kew. What a lovely post. Not surprised you can't remember life before him.

And if I can say that DS at 10 also tries bloody hard I will be very pleased. That is actually all I want. And an ability to make good relationships.

Can't wait for the post in 5 years time - or even when he starts secondary school!

Kr1stina Sun 29-Nov-15 21:23:16

flowers wine

Devora Thu 03-Dec-15 14:52:22

Happy birthday Master Kew!

Chocogoingcuckoo Tue 08-Dec-15 18:08:20

It's so lovely to read these progress and update post and how much family love there is. We're still on our journey to adopting and recently completed prep group where the horror stories were laid on thick! So thank you for sharing this lovely post. Congratulations as well on having such a lovely son. flowers

Kewcumber Tue 08-Dec-15 20:52:13

I know that when I was a work in progress I took great heart from the story of others before me. I'm glad to repay some of that.

Our journey hasn't been without wrinkles and at times (like this morning!) is a challenge still. But it's a challenge I'm (mostly) up for and it's been worth all the extra angst. Would make the same decision in a heartbeat.

FYI - all of the things I worried about beforehand were irrelevant as it turned out and all the things I hadn't even considered raised their heads! So be prepared but try not too worry too much about each individual thing your mythical child could come with and wait to find out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now