Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

Adoption hearings

(11 Posts)
ann0102 Fri 20-Nov-15 20:31:35

Can someone please explain the process to me, I thought it was 1 court hearing, now it seems it's 3? Sorry I'm confused. Thanks smile

NigelLikesSalad Fri 20-Nov-15 20:46:42

Hi, the first will be a 'directions hearing' where the judge will call your SW and LO SW to the court, tell them to write their reports in support of the application to adopt and be given around 8 weeks to submit the paperwork. Once those reports are received the court will give the second court date where the adoption order will be granted. The third court date takes places 21 days after the adoption order is granted and is called the celebration ceremony (birth parents have three weeks from granting of the adoption order to contest).
So...
1st - directions hearing
2nd - final hearing
3rd - celebration ceremony

Hope that helps. I think I'm right!

ann0102 Fri 20-Nov-15 21:11:37

Thanks.

anxious123 Fri 20-Nov-15 21:50:14

My birth sons AO has just been granted and the above is correct as of last week - except the judge said 28 days to contest it but yes it's 3 court dates. To my knowledge the adopters only attend the celebration not the directions or the final hearing.

TeamAcorn Sat 21-Nov-15 07:57:00

Anxious is right about attending the celebration hearing. We were told it is possible for us to attend the first two but no adopters really do. Those 2 can be attended by birth parents, the celebration hearing can't and they are not told when it is. Our SW phoned us after each of the first 2 hearings to tell us what happened re contesting etc.
Be prepared for dates to move around. I think we were told 3 different dates for celebration hearing overall, the third one being correct.

Obviously these hearings are a horrific time for birth parents but also be good to yourself too and brace yourself. Our children had clear reasons with evidence to be adopted and I knew that contesting the adoption would go nowhere but the 1% chance gave me far more stress than I had anticipated. I don't think I'd prepared myself enough mentally for that bit. Just a heads up! Afterwards though, when all the SWs disappear and you can just get on with it is lovely smile (though they'll be a few adopters on here who are desperate for good post-adoption support who will disagree with that last bit!)

MintyLizzy9 Sun 22-Nov-15 05:00:17

out of interest how long did/does it take to get the court dates? I know I have to wait ten weeks before applying for the AO but after that I have no idea on time scales...are we talking weeks or months?

Something else to look forward to eh!

Not that you will need it but best of luck X flowers

anxious123 Sun 22-Nov-15 06:57:32

My son's adopters applied very end of Jul/very early August, directions hearing was mid October, final hearing early/mid November, celebration hearing won't be til New year now due to Christmas holidays etc

NigelLikesSalad Sun 22-Nov-15 07:42:29

The time line anxious has given is pretty typical I think. We were told a lot depended on how busy the court was as to when dates are given. Initially for it all to go through we were told a few months from application of AO through to Celebration Ceremony

anxious123 Sun 22-Nov-15 08:20:01

Aye, there wasn't any delay with my birth sons as the paperwork was "straight forward" - as much as it can be in adoption related proceedings - and I wasn't contesting it

NigelLikesSalad Sun 22-Nov-15 08:50:52

That's a good point, if it's contested it it could take much longer but would be impossible to say how long.

dimples76 Sun 22-Nov-15 14:31:52

Yes, just to say it can take an awful lot longer when contested. I applied in March and AO has still not been granted. 6th hearing (and I desperately final one) is next month.

I agree with TeamAcorn that it is v stressful. It's probably the part of the process which has taken me most by surprise - not what has happened but how it has made me feel. I guess before I loved him I was able to be more logical about the risk of not general the AO now each time it goes to court my anxiety levels go through the roof. I also feel desperately sad for BPs who keep getting put through the emotional wringer (with me hoping all the while it is in vain and SS telling me there circ are worse rather than better since PO).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now