Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

Adopting from the USA

(5 Posts)
Jayni313 Fri 30-Oct-15 16:47:36

Anyone have any experiences adopting from America? Agency recommendations etc? I'm interested in finding out more as apparently it's easier to get a younger child than it is in the UK? TIA smile

Leeza2 Sat 31-Oct-15 14:08:41

If you are normally resident in the UK, you need to get approved by the UK authorities, that is a voluntary adoption agency or local authority social services .

Then you can work with a US based agency of your choice .

I believe you will be in competition with many US families and generally birth mothers will not wish their child to be placed abroad , so they can still keep in contact . However the agency will advise on this

Velvet1973 Sun 01-Nov-15 07:50:14

When we started out on our adoption journey this was something we looked at. The only info I could find was basically saying the US no longer allowed it but I may be wrong. I found it very difficult to get a clear answer. What I had found was that when it had been allowed previously it cost thousands of pounds.
We adopted through the UK in the end and had our 6 month baby boy placed last December.

Leeza2 Sun 01-Nov-15 12:56:59

AFAIK it is still allowed, you just need to get approved here first .

And it costs at least tens of thousands of pounds . You will be thousands to the British authorities alone, for home study, legalisation of documents plus agency, travel and legal fees .

And you will get none of this back if the Bm changes her mind . So you don't have to just be able to raise this money , you have to be prepared to lose quite a lot of it and repeat the process again

Kewcumber Sun 01-Nov-15 15:32:58

I think I did a response on costs a short white ago if you do an advanced search in adoption of America or USA

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now