Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

Inside out

(10 Posts)
Daisiemoo Sat 25-Jul-15 20:05:48

Just watched the trailer on sky. Wondered if anyone had taken their children to see it? Do you think it would help then associate with their emotions??

Devora Sat 25-Jul-15 22:19:15

I've wondered that too. Just a little highjack, can anyone recommend anything good to read on dissociation?

Kewcumber Sat 25-Jul-15 23:31:22

I watched it yesterday. Sobbed all the way through the second half blush

I thought it was actually very helpful - the analogy (in DS's case) of having anger in charge and things going wrong he identified with and unprompted said "Oooh thats just like me!"

I think I will refer back to it over the next few weeks.

It even had a kind of neural pathway going on which I might actually talk to him about - putting down new pathways and using them to make them strong.

if my "dissociation" you mean being in complete denial about situations like anger or doing things wrong - then I could probably write a book for you?

TongueBiter Sat 25-Jul-15 23:34:31

I thought it would make a few excellent starting points for discussions about emotions - and can help children realise what/why they're feeling.

Just as an aside though - and maybe relevant(?) - both Riley's parents had brown eyes and she had blue .... Pretty sure that can't happen?

Brandysnapper Sat 25-Jul-15 23:35:47

My ds has blue eyes and ours are brown.

Kewcumber Sun 26-Jul-15 00:27:46

WEll yes Brandysnapper thats probably true of a few of us in adoption grin

I'm guessing they're your birth child though?!

Pretty straight forward though tongue biter as both parents could carry a blue eyed recessive gene each and child inherits both the recessive genes.

Brown eyed child and two blue eyed parents much less common but still possible because genes aren;t quite that simple and you can inherit a "broken" gene which means you don;t produce pigment.

Eye color depends on how much pigment is in the eye. A lot of pigment gives brown, some gives green and little or no gives blue.

Iggi999 Sun 26-Jul-15 09:32:32

Yes sorry Kew blush just replying to Tonguebiter as I had thought that myself before he arrived!

Iggi999 Sun 26-Jul-15 09:33:21

..and can't even remember name changes! (Think I'll go back to bed)

PheasantPlucker Sun 26-Jul-15 09:42:50

Thanks all - will def take dd2

Daisiemoo Sun 26-Jul-15 20:03:16

Just found this on Facebook

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now