Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

How to avoid being fired/ managed out

(8 Posts)
selly24 Tue 21-Jul-15 07:18:48

I work for a small employer ( two related managers, another member of staff and me) I am very anxious that when I tell my employers it is my plan to adopt, I will be managed out /got rid of!
How best to phrase the announcement?
WHEN ie at what stage in the process do I reveeal my plan to adopt. Obviously a reference will be sought, at what point is this usually done....?
All advice very welcome. TIA

MyPreciousRing Tue 21-Jul-15 09:05:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Kewcumber Tue 21-Jul-15 20:03:54

I asked social worker to request a reference letter as late as possible for exactly this reason. As it turned out my employers were great about it and I worked there for several years after that.

WereJamming Tue 21-Jul-15 20:10:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StaceyAndTracey Wed 22-Jul-15 12:04:06

Do you actually need an employers reference, or just proof that you have a job ? Otherwise you could show a copy of your contract and show your playslips / proof of salary .

bobgoblin23 Sat 08-Aug-15 19:55:37

I had same fear. My VA said it had to be latest end of stage 1. So I organised a confidential reference from HR without my line manager finding out (slightly bigger company). VA supposed to send an email direct to HR, sent a letter instead. Doh. Someone else opened it and told my line manager. I was on holiday at the time. Got back to find out from VA they had sent a letter. Someone from work told me that weird questions were being asked while I was off. First day back in from hols and I was given notice for disciplinary. They didn't like the way I spoke to people. Hmmm... I fought them on it as it was obviously made up drivel and very weak. They gave a decision anyway to fire me and I can't go to tribunal for unfair dismissal because I have worked there less than 2 years. This sucks and it's a very real possibility that VA and LA need to be aware of. As it happens, my OH is going to take adoption leave, not me. So I've been pushed out for no reason, they just assumed because I am female I will be main carer. So angry still...and unemployed. This wrecks our financial assessment and we can't afford to adopt if I can't find another job soon.

Hels20 Sat 08-Aug-15 20:07:04

goblin - that is dreadful. But you are wrong. You are protected and on the face of it sounds like you have a very strong case. If your termination happened in the last 3 months, please speak to an employment lawyer ASAP and file a claim. You don't need to work in a place for 2 years if you are in a protected category - this would be a protected category.

bobgoblin23 Sat 08-Aug-15 22:00:39

Hi Hels

Thanks for advice. Its my word against theirs that it had anythjng to do with adoption. My line manager claims not to have known about it and i was fired because of how i spoke to people. The evidence is subjective and, if it really was the problem, the kind of thing she would just have a word about. I was told by my union that i would have to file unfair dismissal as i couldnt prove line manager knew about adoption and she was the decision maker when firing me. Just because something is wrong or agsinst the law, it doesnt stop people from doing it. Or getting away with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now