Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

Family finding visit.

(20 Posts)
Ellengriswold Wed 15-Jul-15 13:15:46

We have just heard that the family finding social workers of a sibling group are coming to visit us next week. What should we expect? Any tips? Feeling excitedly petrified IYSWIM. Are they looking at us and/or the house?

sarahlux Wed 15-Jul-15 15:20:06

Good luck. We also have the family finder and child's social worker visiting us next week.

StaceyAndTracey Wed 15-Jul-15 15:59:09

They are looking at you and the house. But mostly you

Write down any questions you have. They should be ' decision critical ' questions at this stage .

All the family finder cares about is " can you meet these children's needs " . Everything you say and do should be aimed at that .

Show that you have thought carefully about this by asking intelligent questions.

They don't care about your house, as long as it meets all the basic requirements- enough space, averagely clean and tidy , safe . They don't expect you to have a room decorated for a child, but they will want to see their rooms and the rest of the house .

They don't care about food, beyond basic hospitality . A hot drink and biscuit is fine, unless they have traveled a long distance , in which case a sandwich or similar would be appreciated .

abeandhalo Wed 15-Jul-15 17:03:49

Talking confidently about your ability to parent those children will be key, and why you specifically are the right choice for them. Make sure you ask all of the questions you need to know, this meeting is also about you finding out whether these kids are right for you.

Ellengriswold Wed 15-Jul-15 18:13:12

Thank you for your responses. Really useful.

Ellengriswold Thu 16-Jul-15 11:22:06

Good luck too Sarahlux. The socket covers are going on....question list is being drawn up. I must remember to breathe ;-)

selly24 Thu 16-Jul-15 11:29:54

Attention re: socket covers there is no safety standard to which these must comply. Not recommended.

Alljamissweet Thu 16-Jul-15 14:13:56

Good luck Ellen!
Don't worry about socket covers at this stage, it depends on the child.
When our LO was placed he was 2 and obsessed with sockets and we had no choice but to cover them all up.
Cake, hot and cold drinks and read sarahlux's recent thread. Xxx

Tangerineandturquoise Thu 16-Jul-15 17:03:45

Whilst the jury is out on the safety of socket covers they are still part of the home safety checklist-which your SW should already have done so try not to worry about that
Enjoy the biscuits-and remember to breathe!

arielmanto Fri 17-Jul-15 09:36:50

we had a checklist given to us early on with the socket covers - so I duly amazon-ed a big bag of them and spent half an hour scrambling over furniture to plug all the holes.
SW arrived and went "oops, did I not tell you that now we've decided that socket covers are actually more dangerous? you'll need to remove all of them." grrr.

Ellengriswold Sat 18-Jul-15 05:31:22

I queried socket covers but they are definitely required. The Mumnset jury are firmly against and I tend to agree, but SW wants them so in they went. Those twist off ones which give me an excellent excuse to not vacuum.

PigletJohn Mon 27-Jul-15 15:58:05

RoSPA

If you divulge the name and address of whoever gave you those duff instructions, I could try to educate them.

www.fatallyflawed.org.uk/

PigletJohn Mon 27-Jul-15 16:18:40

RoSPA

If you divulge the name and address of whoever gave you those duff instructions, I could try to educate them.

www.fatallyflawed.org.uk/

etsybetsy Mon 27-Jul-15 16:42:28

How did the visit go in your opinion? Have they given you feedback yet? Hope it went well!

StaceyAndTracey Mon 27-Jul-15 17:08:46

John - I'm afraid that the only safe time for a client to educate a social worker is after their youngest child has reached the age of 18. Until then, the best thing when they say " jump " is to say " how high? "

PigletJohn Mon 27-Jul-15 17:39:59

ah, but I am not a client.

Ellengriswold Mon 27-Jul-15 23:37:03

Stacey I think you MAY have a point! You sum up our feelings:-)
It went well thank you. There are several other couples going to linking so now the long waiting game. We are neither out nor def in so we have the summer hols to wait..... I'm resisting gnawing my nails and sticking to wine and ice cream.

StaceyAndTracey Tue 28-Jul-15 09:56:01

wine

Tangerineandturquoise Tue 28-Jul-15 14:00:00

Piglet John you should forward your research to BAAF The Bristish Association of Adoption and Fostering as they are the ones who write the home study safety questionaire not the social workers who have to carry it out-and present it to managers and panels who have to accept it.

Kewcumber Tue 28-Jul-15 15:19:55

I'm a bit more bullish than Stacey I'd go right ahead and start educating the social workers about the error of their ways the day after the Adoption Order is final.

Of course the day of the adoption order is probably the last time you'll see a social worker (especially if you need one!) but still...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now