Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

We've been matched...what should we read?!

(13 Posts)
Chuck2015 Mon 13-Jul-15 21:18:33

So, after two years we have been matched with a little girl, she's nearly 12 months. We're both excited and apprehensive and would love any book suggestions we should read - both for adoptive and non adoptive parents, I think reading both will be useful. Let's hope the panel goes to plan! x

bobajob Mon 13-Jul-15 22:20:08

Penelope Leach, think it's called "Your Baby and Child", is great for general child development.

JamHoneyMarmite Mon 13-Jul-15 22:24:37

'What every parent needs to know' by Margot Sunderland. Very interesting and useful about all babies' brain development and the effect of attachment. Not written specifically about babies who are adopted, but the author has a background in adoption and trauma, and the information reads across well.

JamHoneyMarmite Mon 13-Jul-15 22:25:37

Whoops - so rude, sorry, meant to say - CONGRATULATIONS flowers

SusanHollander Mon 13-Jul-15 22:28:18

Congratulations!! I bought the general toddler books such as 'What to expect'....I bought a book about attachment but found it was aimed at adopters of older kids so gave it it another adopter. I also taught my daughter (who arrived at 11 months) to do baby signing 'Sing and Sign' so that she could communicate with me whilst she was learning to talk. It's simple stuff like signing more, please, drink, milk, all the animals, park, slide etc etc. It's a lovely bonding thing watching the DVD together and learning to sign. When my son arrived I taught him too. The both have excellent language now (aged 2 and 3).

applecatchers36 Mon 13-Jul-15 22:43:17

Congratulations & good luck with panel.

The Social toddler by Clive & Helen Dorman helps you see the world as a toddler sees it. Focus on promoting positive behaviour.
Why love matters by Sue Gerhardt, is about how affection shapes the infants brain development.

reddaisy Mon 13-Jul-15 23:27:04

Congratulations!!

Kewcumber Mon 13-Jul-15 23:37:08

Congratulations

I'd advise reading every novel you've ever fancied now. You won't be reading any for a while soon grin

Kewcumber Mon 13-Jul-15 23:39:05

The only book I read (in desperation) was The no Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley. For toddlers I think. It was great.

CloserToFiftyThanTwenty Tue 14-Jul-15 21:31:39

Oh, congratulations! flowers

abeandhalo Wed 15-Jul-15 08:56:17

Congratulations! I second the recommendation for 'What Every Parent Needs to Know', great book on baby brain development.

UnderTheNameOfSanders Wed 15-Jul-15 11:08:15

Congratulations.

"Baby talk" by Dr Sally Ward, not just about speech development, but what they should be able to do at each stage, what suitable toys for each stage, when to worry etc. Very readable.

MarmiteChocolate Wed 15-Jul-15 18:54:10

"Why Love Matters" by Sue Gerhardt is the one book I make all my adopters read.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now