Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

Adoption finances and being told to wait

(5 Posts)
poetboywonder Fri 03-Jul-15 20:10:44

Please can I hear from anyone! my partner and I have gotten to the end of stage one of adoption with nothing but positive feedback from everyone we have met on the way. Then all of a sudden our SW says our financial plan is rubbish.

I did a plan evidencing we could survive well with the adoption leave money and my partners income. Statutory pay is always going to be difficult for most. Basically we mentioned renewing a personal loan if they thought it would help. it seems they have misunderstood and decided we should wait 6 months before preceding which has upset us.

Surely a support worker should have assisted in amending the plan and making it a true real reflection of our finances. should we go elsewhere or????

iwishkidslikedtomatoes Fri 03-Jul-15 20:27:32

Did they say the financial plan was no good? or specifically relate it to the idea of you taking out/renewing a loan?

If the former, I would ask on writing for feedback identifying what exactly is the issue. If the latter, I would state in writing you would like to meet or have a phone conversation to clarify your position and then ask for further information as to why this is an issue. You need to discuss this with them further. If you go elsewhere and you've already been told to wait you'll have to declare it and then they'll likely pass on the same incorrect info.

I'm no expert. This is just what I would do if it were me smile

poetboywonder Fri 03-Jul-15 20:35:00

We have a current personal loan that will be paid off withing a year as it stands but we have declared that we will pay double to make it cleared by the time we go to panel. They seem to have gotten hung up on the idea that we said we would get a loan, they clearly think we think we need one. Not the case we just thought one fixed outgoing would be easier to portray on our report.
I hadn't calculated things clearly and our SW came over and pointed out error but did not help us start over and do the plan correctly. We stated that we categorically do not need a loan and have shown our budget plan post placement to live on the smaller amount and a pre-placement plan of paying off the loan early and the outstanding debts. We have never ever missed payments for anything at all and we can clearly show that we can live on a smaller amount of money, surely everyone feel the crunch during adoption/maternity leave.
I have since revised the plan without SW assistance and resubmitted but our SW is on her honeymoon and the other SW we gave spoken to seems already tainted. we know they are all very close.

Sorry for the rant.

iwishkidslikedtomatoes Fri 03-Jul-15 21:41:20

Don't apologise for the rant, I'd be doing the same!

I'd wait for their response to your re-submitted version and then ask for a meeting with the manager to discuss it (if they still say no). They need to give you clear feedback as to why you are being asked to wait. If that feedback is that you need a loan and you are telling them you don't, then that needs addressing and if they won't address it, then someone more senior needs to. Again, whether right or wrong, that's what I'd be doing. smile

We have our children home but the things that have been written in reports during their placement that are incorrect (by some way!) is crazy. We visited the doctor = child had a short stay in hospital! SW's are only human and humans that are way way too over worked, so mistakes/misunderstandings happen. Push your point until your satisfied with the report being a true reflection of your situation. If they still say wait 6 months after that, you'll know you tried everything. smile

MyPreciousRing Sat 04-Jul-15 00:47:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: