Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

London adoption

(7 Posts)
Cornonthecob Thu 25-Jun-15 06:40:11

Out of interest really, my friend went to an open evening for adoption at her local LA with another 20 or so couples, they submitted their "registration of nterest" form but have been told that there are nearly more adoptive parents available than children and they may not get through? Is this really the case? Is adopting in london getting harder due to available children? Thanks

iwishkidslikedtomatoes Thu 25-Jun-15 08:58:32

Nationally that is the current situation, as less placement orders are being granted (the legal order that allows SS to place the child for adoption) at the moment. If you then add that to the fact the government sped up the process for adopters getting approved a couple of years ago, there are now more adopters than children waiting, though there may be the odd place in the country where there is an exception. However, if your friend is looking to adopt siblings, a school aged child or a child who has extra needs that will be less of a problem. Some LA's are now recruiting less adopters because of the situation and those that are training adopters to place children waiting are advising of a possible longer wait. Don't let that dishearten your friend though!! The situation may change and the beauty of being in London is there are many LA's near to each other and you can apply to any LA not just your own. Each LA will have a different number of children waiting. There are also voluntary agencies too such as Barnardos smile

lugo40 Thu 25-Jun-15 19:05:46

Our la will currently only accept applications if you are looking to adopt siblings older children or children with a disability because of this

Cornonthecob Sun 28-Jun-15 19:18:45

Thanks! Very interesting, have to say I am surprised I haven't heard of this in the media.

iwishkidslikedtomatoes Sun 28-Jun-15 19:54:18

I think it sells more papers to say the government are failing children in care because they haven't recruited or trained enough adopters as opposed to the other way round ;) Having said that, the reasons why there are less placement orders being granted has been touched upon in the press but not prominently.

BitterChocolate Sun 28-Jun-15 19:59:35

It varies by borough, or at least it did. When we adopted (it seems like another era, but was about a decade ago) there were quite a few couples from other London boroughs and Essex on the training course. One of the couples had come all the way from either Kingston or Richmond (can't remember exactly) to our borough (Tower Hamlets) because they had virtually no chance of being matched with a child in their own borough.

iwishkidslikedtomatoes Sun 28-Jun-15 20:01:10

werejamming posted this a few weeks ago...Some press!

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/adoption-rates-in-freefall-after-court-ruling-leaves-children-languishing-in-unsuitable-homes-10245614.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now