Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

Referee question

(4 Posts)
iniquity Mon 22-Jun-15 17:05:30

Hi
My brother is currently going through the adoption process and has put me down as a ref because he has been involved in the upbringing of my son.
Does anyone have an idea of what they may ask me?
Thanks

Parisbanana Mon 22-Jun-15 21:00:23

I was a referee for my best friend.
The interview, while very informal and "chatty" was very in depth. And long.
They asked me loads about our student days (when we met), when I first met her husband, what I thought of him, their relationship history. They delved quite deep. I think they wanted to know if I really knew them well (I do!)
There were no trick questions, no trying to catch me out or drop them in it or anything like that.
I was asked if I thought they would make good parents. My answer was that if dh and I didn't both have siblings we adore, then my friends would be our choice as guardians for our dc should anything happen to us.
I was referee for them twice. They adopted twice, in different counties, so had to go through the whole procedure twice. As far as I can remember I was asked very similar questions (but it was 14 and 8 years ago so I can't remember all I was asked I'm afraid.)
It's one of the best things I've ever done for my friends.
Good luck to you and your brother.

UnderTheNameOfSanders Mon 22-Jun-15 21:01:37

Long time ago now, but I think our refs were asked stuff like this:

How long have you known him/them
Strengths
Weaknesses
What would make him a good parent
How is he with children
Do you know of any reason why he shouldn't adopt
Would you let him bring up your child if anything happened to you

iniquity Mon 22-Jun-15 22:28:03

Thanks Parisbanana and under the name of sanders.
Plenty to think about. I'm looking forward to being an auntie.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now