Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

Adopting a 5 year old

(10 Posts)
oasiswaterpool Mon 15-Jun-15 14:57:02

Did you have lots of firsts with a 5 year old. Did you have baby cuddle type moments as well?

UnderTheNameOfSanders Mon 15-Jun-15 16:16:45

5 year olds can be very cuddly, and really are still little children.
My 10yo still curls up on my lap for cuddles quite frequently (and is still into cuddly toys etc).

My eldest was 8 when placed (nearly 8 years ago)

We had, in no particular order
- first school play with us watching
- first tooth lost with us
- first sports day with us watching
- reading a lesson at the school carol service
- leaving primary
- first trip abroad
- first Christmas together

I haven't been sad to have missed the earlier firsts, but we also adopted a 2.5 yo at the same time so got more of those. But I don't feel I missed out by not getting first word, first steps etc. I did miss out by not being the parent for all those years, but the firsts don't really matter to me ifyswim?

Moresmores Mon 15-Jun-15 16:22:04

Not an adopter but with a five year old you can still have lots of firsts.

Possibly reading first words, riding a bike without stabilisers, swimming a width of a pool, tooth falling out... Just slightly different firsts to the baby ones.

excitedmtb Mon 15-Jun-15 16:31:32

Our LO was 4 when placed with us and we have had lots of firsts - similar to previous posters. Our LO also had a mum and dad to come along to nursery and school events and activities which she had never had before.

Also, although our LO is 5 now, emotionally she is much younger. So we have lots of cuddly times and we do lots of theraplay games and baby type massage. All of these things makes us both feel much closer and it really is lovely.

JamHoneyMarmite Mon 15-Jun-15 17:34:46

All the little steps towards LO trusting you will be very special "firsts" - first time they reach for your hand and hold tight, first secret smile you swap, first time you look after them when they're poorly, first time you take them somewhere you love, first time you pick them up from school, first year of getting the school made Mother's Day cards etc...

SleepIsOverrated Mon 15-Jun-15 17:49:42

First time they call you Mum. First time they trust you to be the parent. First time you have them dressed head to toe in clothes you have bought. First haircut with you, first dentist, first time they let you hold a sick bucket and mop their brow.

First day at new school, first day running across the playground to you, first friend round to play.

First birthday with you, first Christmas with you, first holiday, first passport in new name, first photo with grandparents, first time they play with new cousins.

First big tooth, first pair of grown up shoes, first time learning to ride a bike, first time bouncing on a trampoline in your back garden.

First time creating your own traditions, first time they ask for stories about your own childhood, first time they gang up with grandparents against you, first time you laugh yourselves silly over something you do together.

It won't all be roses, obviously. But every first time with you is a first.

UnderTheNameOfSanders Mon 15-Jun-15 18:33:24

Last week we had some lasts:

Last baby tooth out (DD2 age 10.5)
Last day at school (DD1 age 16)

oasiswaterpool Mon 15-Jun-15 19:09:46

So lovely thank you for your 'firsts' you made me cry x So many 1sts I would never have thought of. They are all so lucky to have you.

oasiswaterpool Mon 15-Jun-15 19:11:04

Oh and UnderTheNameOfSanders I nearly forgot thank you for your lasts!

Buster510 Wed 17-Jun-15 20:25:57

We had so many 1st with our (then) 4yo, to name a few

Starting school
Learning to ride a bike
Learning to read & write
Yet to lose a first tooth
Learnt how to swim

He is older now, & is still so loving & affectionate. 5 year olds will almost always love cuddles & snuggles. We love silly fun times, tickles & playing.

A lot of firsts & happy times to come for you smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now