Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

Does Anyone Else Wonder If We Should Write To The Press Complaints Commission

(23 Posts)
Tangerineandturquoise Tue 02-Jun-15 22:39:47

And ask that they have some guidelines to ensure more responsible reporting of cases where children are removed and or placed for adoption

It would give more weight to genuine cases of abuse or flaws in the system and
It would be fairer to the adoptees and adopters who have to exist in the shadow of some very negative reporting

selly24 Wed 03-Jun-15 07:43:57

Agree. Where do I sign!?

Kewcumber Wed 03-Jun-15 13:34:36

Agreed I was horrified to see even the Telegraph jump on the "Toddler put up for adoption because Parents are heavy smokers" bandwagon

ALovelyTrain Wed 03-Jun-15 13:41:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

oasiswaterpool Wed 03-Jun-15 13:53:34

Yes, I agree will sign.

Devora Wed 03-Jun-15 14:28:57

I think this is a good idea. It should strongly feature arguments about how this harms children - the children directly affected, who may read this coverage in later life, but also all those children of parents who avoid seeking help/co-operating with social services.

Tangerine, are you volunteering to co-ordinate us, or do you want someone else to? grin

iwishkidslikedtomatoes Wed 03-Jun-15 15:26:31

I'll start by saying I DO NOT KNOW IF THIS IS CORRECT.... But I thought you could only make a complaint regarding a specific article within so many months of it being published? Though I'm sure if we all picked one and all wrote about it in duplicate, it may get taken even more seriously and any impact on one publication would put the fear of God into the others? I do know the press complaints commission were replaced with something else but work on the same code being breached. And that's the end of my random knowledge (accurate or not) on the press smile I'll write or sign something if it's doable though, count me in. But sorry if that is indeed wrong.

iwishkidslikedtomatoes Wed 03-Jun-15 15:29:02

....or all articles from all newspapers about the recent smoking one.

Independent Press Standards Organisation is the new one...

https://www.ipso.co.uk/IPSO/makingacomplaint.html#Our_remit

iwishkidslikedtomatoes Wed 03-Jun-15 15:53:58

....or all articles from all newspapers about the recent smoking one.

Independent Press Standards Organisation is the new one...

www.ipso.co.uk/IPSO/makingacomplaint.html#Our_remit

Tangerineandturquoise Wed 03-Jun-15 16:50:17

I am happy to co-ordinate and draft a letter if people are happy- I also think if we do something we should send a scaled down letter to all national papers.

Tangerineandturquoise Wed 03-Jun-15 16:52:24

I am happy to draft a letter-and also another to write to each of the nationals.
If any stories have stuck in your mind if you post them here I shall try and reference them as an annex to IPSO'S letter

PicaK Thu 04-Jun-15 18:43:09

I'll sign. Was truly horrified by how a few sentences have been reported as the sole reason.

Barbadosgirl Thu 04-Jun-15 20:03:00

I am in!

Polarbearpolarbear Thu 04-Jun-15 21:22:02

I'm in!

dibly Thu 04-Jun-15 22:52:55

Oh yes, count me in!

SirSpamalot Fri 05-Jun-15 07:05:27

I'm in too.

CloserThanYesterday Fri 05-Jun-15 21:25:31

Urgh. I just made the mistake of reading a Daily Mail article on Denise Robertson's book. Count me in too. All these awful and ignorant 'forced adoption' articles seem to be gathering too much pace for my liking.

Hels20 Sun 07-Jun-15 07:41:21

I'm in, too. You expect Daily Mail to go with the story with a scaremongering headline but I was aghast that the Guardian did it too. And the BBC.

CloserToFiftyThanTwenty Sun 07-Jun-15 12:29:22

I'm in (though will need to check IPSO remit for overseas folk)

Italiangreyhound Sun 07-Jun-15 15:09:56

Good idea. I'm in.

Potatoaddict Mon 08-Jun-15 13:23:40

I'm happy to sign, sounds like a great idea. Thanks.

ajs9 Wed 10-Jun-15 22:15:07

Pls do. These headlines are so misleading and damaging to adoptive families.

Mondsey Wed 10-Jun-15 22:15:39

Hi guys. I am a new poster here. I have been tearing my hair out the past couple of weeks over all this uneducated, uninformed, one-sided anti adoption media coverage in papers and on TV. I have just stumbled across this post and definitely want to be a part of it - and know I can get several more adopters on board. What can I do to help ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now