Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

AO application - marriage cert?

(21 Posts)
paulwellersjam Sun 18-Jan-15 19:38:53

Straightforward adoption from an LA. DH and I.

I can't work out if we need to send a marriage certificate. If we do it's a PITA as it's a certified copy so it'll mean sorting it out with the registrar etc. SW seems to think we need it but I can't work out if we'd only need it if, for e.g, he was my biological child and DH was adopting him?

Anyone know? Off the top of their head?

Lilka Sun 18-Jan-15 20:16:01

I have no idea whether you need one or not, sorry! But all certificates issued are certified copies of the original, so if you do need it, just order a copy from the GRO online. Less than a tenner and they don't take long to arrive. There's no need to faff around contacting the registrar surely?

RhinosAreFatUnicorns Sun 18-Jan-15 20:18:36

From memory - yes. I'm sure we sent ours in.

Italiangreyhound Sun 18-Jan-15 20:21:02

Yes, we sent ours.

blossom101001 Sun 18-Jan-15 20:33:55

We sent ours as well!

KristinaM Sun 18-Jan-15 21:26:06

I needed to send a full birth certificate or a marriage certificate , which caused some delay as I had neither . That hadn't occurred to them when they drafted the procedures

Jameme Mon 19-Jan-15 01:14:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bringonthesunshineplease Mon 19-Jan-15 22:55:17

Whoops didn't send one with our AO application so guess we will be asked for it shortly. Good to have the heads up wink

trafficjam Tue 20-Jan-15 18:55:22

We've sent ours and haven't yet had it returned!

loiner45 Tue 20-Jan-15 19:47:16

Yes - all marriage certificates are 'certified copies' of the original entry in the register of marriage. There is no such thing as an original certificate. You can order multiple copies online of any birth, death or marriage certificate - as I found out when dealing with my dad's estate after he died!

TeenAndTween Tue 20-Jan-15 20:58:12

You can get a 'certified copy' at a solicitors.
They photocopy an original and put a their stamp on it saying it is a true copy.

Lilka Tue 20-Jan-15 23:29:53

You should only need a solicitor (or other person of good standing) to certify documents which aren't already certified eg. a passport, or a license etc.

Birth, marriage and death certificates are already certified by the registrar/General Register Office when they are printed and sent out. A Marriage Certificate will have "Certified Copy of an Entry of Marriage" typed along the top, and then on the bottom (if you order online from the GRO) it will have their stamp.

TeenAndTween Wed 21-Jan-15 08:30:35

Yes, sorry I wasn't clear.

I should have said, if you don't want to send your one and only version of your marriage certificate with your AO in case they lose it or whatever, then you can get it photocopied and 'certified' by a solicitor.

This is faster than getting another 'original looking' version.

iwishkidslikedtomatoes Wed 21-Jan-15 08:39:15

Any idea how much it costs to get a solicitor to do this? We got married abroad and if they lose ours it is a lot more difficult to get a new one so this sounds like a good plan.

TeenAndTween Wed 21-Jan-15 09:08:03

Sorry, can't remember - too many years ago since we did this.

KristinaM Wed 21-Jan-15 09:25:28

I wish - is your marriage certificate in English ? If not you will need to get it translated . Not by anyone but by a special authorised translator. Who will of course charge you much more .

Did you use a solicitor for your adoption ? If so he or she will usually do it for nothing , it only takes them 5 minutes . AFAIKthey have to be a notary public . I didn't know that " anyone in good standing " could notorise a legal document

Lilka Wed 21-Jan-15 12:32:48 <-- extent of my knowledge!

Hope it's all sorted soon jam

Jameme Wed 21-Jan-15 15:54:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

iwishkidslikedtomatoes Fri 23-Jan-15 14:14:35

Thanks KristinaM It is in English but LA providing solicitor if needed, so we haven't used one as part of process. We're going to look into this though. Thanks smile

KristinaM Fri 23-Jan-15 21:17:13

They might still do it for you. IIRC they just make a photocopy of the document and write something like

" I certfiy that this is a true and accurate copy "

And sign it. Takes a couple of minutes .

Bringonthesunshineplease Fri 23-Jan-15 22:04:53

I phoned the court the other day regard the fact I didn't send a certified copy of our marriage cert with the AO application after seeing it discussed here. I was advised by the clerk at the CFC that is not required.... and our application is being processed.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: