Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

Fostering to Adopt Adoption Leave

(15 Posts)
dogsandkids Sat 10-Jan-15 18:26:48

We are just ending stage 1 of the adoption process and are excited about the potential of fostering to adopt, or Concurrency. It sounds hugely sensible and child centred with the gamble being with the adults rather than the child.

My question is about Adoption Leave. My employer would give me about 12 weeks full pay, which I would take. After this I would return to full time work and my other half will be giving up his job and look after the LO.

If for whatever reason the child was returned to Birth Parents (always a consideration with FTA) what are the legalities if I went back to the process and started fostering to adopt a second time - would I get another 3 months off full pay? smile

Sorry for the long question. Hope it makes sense.

Themoleandcrew Sat 10-Jan-15 18:30:53

It's my understanding that you cannot take adoption leave until you have a matching certificate which will be once the adoption is taking place. While you are fostering the child you will be paid as a foster carer.
My workplace were happy to authorise unpaid leave to cover that period.

dogsandkids Sat 10-Jan-15 18:37:45

Thanks for the reply MoleandCrew. Great name. I believe the law is changing in April 2015 so that you get the equivalent of a matching certificate at the start of the fostering to adopt placement - so it is classed as Adoption rather than Fostering. The fostering pay of £22 a day would nowhere near cover my current pay level, so I would need the adoption leave to cover my mortgage etc. I know i can do it once, I'm just not sure if I can do it twice if the first placement returned to Birth parents?

Themoleandcrew Sat 10-Jan-15 18:45:15

That's good news then. I had a great adoption package and was told by work that if I was to have another one within 6 months they would not pay the enhanced portion and I would only receive statutory. I think it's pretty much up to employers if they will pay over the top if statutory.

dibly Sat 10-Jan-15 19:10:33

I'd say it would very much depend on your current employer. What is their general stance on maternity leave? Eg my employer insists on being back in work for a year between paid maternity absences.

If the child was returned to BF though, you'd need, and probably be expected to have a grieving period. Adopters I know who this happened to say that they just couldn't put themselves through it again.

It's def a route we'd consider next time, if we adopted again; however I also wouldn't underestimate the possible effects of prenatal trauma. Just (another!) one to bear in mind.

Velvet1973 Sat 10-Jan-15 20:23:20

Again I'd say it was down to the employers ruling regarding time back in work between leave etc, not sure the legislation would go into it that deep,y.
We're currently doing f2a and I always saw ourselves as pretty tough people that had been through quite a lot but still managed to come through the other side, we said if lo had to be returned to bp's then we would be devastated but we would in time be able to find our strength again.
Our f2a was different in the end because lo was only placed after the placement order had been made and now he's here I know I seriously underestimated what it would fo to us if it didn't work out. He's only been with us 3 weeks and even sending him off to contact was breaking my heart so we would have been utterly devastated beyond repair I think if he had to be returned. It's a really difficult one because before you go into it you think you really know yourself, your capabilities and limitations and how you would be in that situation but my god was I so very wrong! I never believed the strength of feeling for this little person in such a short space of time and can't begin to imagine what it would even be like after months.

KristinaM Sat 10-Jan-15 21:11:51

I know this Not what you are asking - but many SW woudl be unhappy about placing a child with a family where the main carer would be changing 12 weeks into placement . One of the points of concurrency is to minimise the changes for the child .

I'm sorry if I have misunderstood your plan

dogsandkids Sat 10-Jan-15 22:26:04

Thanks for all for your posts . Really useful to get the opinions of others. It's a fair point Kristina but it is a bit more grey than at first I explained. My partner currently only works part time (already does morning and after school care for our BS) and as he is self employed he will be heavily reducing work rates during that time, so it really be both of us here for the 12 - 16 weeks, with me then returning to work. I am fortunate to work in education so have good work hours, am home by 5 most days, every weekend off and have the luxury of 25% of the year on holiday. My only other option is not to take leave, but I am not sure what this would gain as I am entitled to 3 months on almost full pay. Really useful though to hear the thoughts of others, esp those who have gone through the process. Thanks all.

Velvet1973 Sun 11-Jan-15 09:52:41

Hi dogsandkids, that's something else to check out with your agency about doing f2a with a bs already. From speaking to others when we were starting on that path a lot wouldn't consider it. Ours said they wouldn't but then did look at it for someone else who had been approved although lo was placed elsewhere ultimately so not sure if that was a factor or not.
Good luck!

Barbadosgirl Sun 11-Jan-15 20:00:06

Dogsandkids, that is what I did, 4.5 months off am just returning to work and now my husband is the main carer. He worked part time while I was on AL. Our little boy has bonded well with both of us and, if anything, is a bit of a daddy's boy.

Purplecircle Sun 11-Jan-15 20:13:30

The 12 weeks full pay is discretionary from your employer so you need to speak with HR.
Statutory adoption leave is 39 weeks @ £138.18 but you have to have a matching certificate

Kewcumber Mon 12-Jan-15 10:01:19

would I get another 3 months off full pay?

No-one here can tell you this as it is at the discretion of your employer unless already stated in their policies.

I'm just not sure if I can do it twice if the first placement returned to Birth parents?

This is exactly the reason why I decided against concurrency in the end. My employer only paid statutory adoption pay and I had saved enough to manage this once but couldn't have done it more than once without having time to save again in between.

There's no way around it, you will have to read the HR policies carefully and then have a conversation with HR.

hopefullmama Fri 16-Jan-15 11:31:46

There are documents on the web on adoption reforms written by Edward Timpson MP, the law changes in April, and its my understanding you are entitled to 52 weeks off, and some degree of
pay for 39 weeks.

Purplecircle Fri 16-Jan-15 14:38:07

Statutory Adoption Leave from 6th April 2015 will be 6 weeks at 90% of your average pay, followed by 33 weeks of lower rate SAP. This is £139.58 or 90% of average pay, whichever is higher.

Before 6th April 2015, the higher rate doesn't apply and the lower rate is £138.18 or 90% if lower for 39 weeks

Purplecircle Fri 16-Jan-15 14:39:30

Sorry it's 90% if lower that £139.58

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: