Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

Can I adopt a relative child from abroad? Where do I start?

(19 Posts)
mimilovell Fri 09-Jan-15 17:32:34

I have a relative child in a non EU country. The grandparents did raise the child for the first 5 years but because of health problems now have moved back the USA. Both parents are not ideal parents and after 10 years hasn't really grasp the idea of how best to bring up the boy. He is skinny because he doesn't get fed properly, failing at school, no discipline etc... Everytime I speak to the parents (when I can get hold of them) they just tell me "well if your so good, why dont you raise him." After years of this, I give up and I will do that myself. I have just spoken to them with my intention and both parents are happy for me to adopt their child. I have also spoken to the boy and his really happy with the idea, as he says he wont be left alone anymore. I was wondering if anyone knows what the procedure is? Thanks

KristinaM Fri 09-Jan-15 17:49:51

What relation is he to you ?

Do you need a visa to bring him into the UK?

BertieBotts Fri 09-Jan-15 17:51:41

I would imagine you'd get better advice if you consulted a lawyer rather than mumsnet, TBH.

slkk Fri 09-Jan-15 17:55:27

We looked into this for a nephew whose parents were pretty destitute. No chance with immigration from this country. It would have been far easier to adopt a stranger. So we support as much as we can and have adopted from UK.

elliegoulding Fri 09-Jan-15 18:40:39

What a pointless answer BertieBotts

Hope someone comes along to advise you on the next step OP

Italiangreyhound Sat 10-Jan-15 00:18:55

mimilovell I don't know if this helps but have you seen this...

It sounds like you want to do an amazing thing, for very good reasons. That is wonderful. Do make sure you know what help might be out there, what issues you may face etc, aside from the legal side.

I'm assuming you have thought about all kinds of issues etc and know how to access support or help in the UK. If you have kids already etc you need to think about the impact on them, your marriage if you are married, etc etc.

ll best wishes.

Italiangreyhound Sat 10-Jan-15 00:19:53

All best wishes.

YummyBabycakes Sat 10-Jan-15 06:42:30

I private messaged you, but look at special guardianship orders... They may be close to what you need.

FishWithABicycle Sat 10-Jan-15 07:20:56

What country is the relative in? What does that country's law say about in-family adoption? It may be easier than you think.

MokunMokun Sat 10-Jan-15 07:34:21

^*elliegoulding Fri 09-Jan-15 18:40:39*
What a pointless answer BertieBotts

Hope someone comes along to advise you on the next step OP^

To be fair your post wasn't remotely helpful either.

I actually think BertieBotts is right and you are better off speaking to professionals. These things will vary country to country. I have friends who have adopted abroad but what they experienced may be completely different to whatever country he lives in. It maybe a long and expensive process though.

mimilovell Sat 10-Jan-15 14:12:29

Hi Thanks for all the info.

I have tried to speak to immigration solicitor but I felt as though he was trying to get me into something which he knows will have almost 0% chance of success. I know there are loads of socilitors out there who dont really hae experience but take on cases anyway because of money. If anyone can refer to me to anyone they know, please PM me.

Any advice would be great.


mimilovell Sat 10-Jan-15 14:14:54

Yes I will need a VISA to get him into the country. Yes my husband is supportive, which is brilliant.

KristinaM Sat 10-Jan-15 18:06:53

You need to check with the British embassy website to see what kind of visa is appropriate for this situation. Then find out how you can meet the requirements of that visa.

If you want to adopt him, you will need to be approved by an adoption agency here in the UK , as that's where you are normally resident. Then apply to the relevant authorities where he lives to adopt him under their law. The apply for a visa to bring him into the UK

This will take a long time, probably years . And you may have problems as he will not have broken ties with his birth parents and it may be seen that the adoption is to get around the immigration requirememts here.

It will be expensive -you need to pay for the home study, legalisation of documents, lawyers fees , visa charges and agency fees . You will probably need to travel to his country several times .

There is a reason that there are very few overseas adoptions into the UK, which is that it's very difficult, expensive, complicated and time consuming.

Given this, you might want to think of other legal options apart from adoption, or other ways of helping this relative apart from bringing him to the UK

MokunMokun Sun 11-Jan-15 12:04:32

I know you want to keep private but could you say the country? I think it would make a huge difference in the help people can give you.

Adoption from Australia would be very different from China.

MokunMokun Sun 11-Jan-15 12:11:20

Also have you spoken to the British embassy in the country he lives in? You would be better starting there. They may be able to recommend a lawyer in that country who can help you.

SavoyCabbage Sun 11-Jan-15 12:16:44

Would it Mokun? Because I can't get my australian dh of 14 years in. The father to my two British dc who earns loads of money and has never committed a crime. The non EU visa situation at the moment is a nightmare.

MokunMokun Sun 11-Jan-15 13:22:23

I didn't say Australia would be easier just the laws may be different.

If the OP's relative is also living in Australia you may be able to give her better advice than if he is living in China because you know more about the process or perhaps you can recommend specific lawyers with experience in dealing with Australian adoptions, that sort of thing.

MokunMokun Sun 11-Jan-15 13:24:08

Sorry realise you said DH.

I mean the OP has to deal with the adoption process in the country that the child is living in so she would benefit from country specific advice, I think.

babymother9238 Tue 13-Jan-15 09:15:42

I am also starting to think about this. My best friends, who are American and live in the US, have said that, should they both die, they want their DS10 and DS7 to come and live with me in the UK (I have DS9 and DS6). Having searched the internet, it does not seem like there is very much guidance out there about how this would be done. My friends are keen to confirm the arrangement, but I am not sure how it is even possible legally. I know we should get advice from an immigration lawyer, but that will start to incur cost for something that might not even happen. I would like an understanding first of what the procedure would be. Any thoughts most welcome.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: