Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

Adoption Present

(3 Posts)
Tinkerisdead Wed 17-Dec-14 07:05:31

Our friends adopted a little boy a couple of years ago and I bought all the usual baby presents etc but was waiting to see if they had a naming day/christening or equivalent before buying a proper keep sake item.

They treated their court hearing date as their marked occassion but it was family only and I didnt want to step on any toes. They are our childrens very much adored godparents and as such we have some lovely keepsake items but with a biblical theme.

I want to get him something from our family he can treasure like a classic folio book but many if them like Oliver Twist, Huckleberry Finn etc are tales of abandonment and now I darent buy one in case its a faux pas.

Can anyone help me a bit?

AdventuringAbout Wed 17-Dec-14 15:03:56

"You are my I love you" is absolutely gorgeous if the child is quite young. People gave us nice editions of Winnie the Pooh, which are treasured.

islurpmyspaghetti Wed 17-Dec-14 17:45:29

That's a lovely and thoughtful sentiment, TheDoctorsWife46. I think if you avoid the obvious tales of grim abandonment, you'll be on pretty safe ground. Personally, I'd love DS to have treasured copies of (for example) Roald Dahl. Personally, I think Paddington could work. Or something like Alice In Wonderland. That said, if it has personal significance to you - and it's a story that you can say you love - I certainly wouldn't take offence even if was Oliver Twist!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now