Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

Mental health issues, and adopting?

(4 Posts)
OvergrownTeenager Tue 18-Nov-14 13:27:05

I hope this is the right place for me to post.

I am planning ahead, but have been thinking for quite a while now that adoption is the way I want to go about becoming a parent a few years down the road. Because of my own experiences, I feel I would have insight and empathy into the chaos and bewilderment a child with attachment difficulty faces.

However, at the moment I have depression and borderline personality disorder traits. Obviously, I would not even begin to think about motherhood until I have been stable and well for a prolonged amount of time. But I wondered if mental health problems in my medical history will rule me out?

Has anyone experienced the adoption process with a history of depression or other MH issues? Am I deluded to think I might be allowed to adopt one day?

Kewcumber Tue 18-Nov-14 15:06:23

I'm sure you would have a great deal of insight and empathy which could be a great asset but cope you actually cope with the "chaos and bewilderment" without it triggering your own issues again?

Thats what you have to think through and what social services will want to address with you.

Certainly its possible to adopt with a history of depression or other mental health issues - but be prepared for some quite searching questions and possibly additional medical opinions required.

You don't mention a partner - your overall position will be looked at. If you have a partner who understands and is around to pick up any slack and support you then its a different issue (and different strain on your mental health) to being a single partner and having to cope alone.

So yes IME it is quite possible depending on each individual case.

Kewcumber Tue 18-Nov-14 15:07:39

sorry about typos!

Cope = could
single partner = single parent!

Kazza299 Tue 18-Nov-14 18:19:52

My husband had a few mental health issues but could show how he dealt with them and the precautions he put in place to ensure it won't be a problem in the future. We have been approved and matched x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now