Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

Adoption allowance amount

(13 Posts)
krasnayakoshka Sun 26-Oct-14 18:24:58

Just wondering if any of you knowledgeable people smile knew how much we might get as adoption allowance for two sibs one with SN?

How much should we expect for the settling in grant?

I won't be eligible for Stat adoption pay as currently on contributions based job seekers.

floatyjosmum Sun 26-Oct-14 18:40:21

To be honest it all depends on which la places the children. It varies across the country and many la's are significantly reducing all amounts.

TheFamilyJammies Sun 26-Oct-14 19:17:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Maiyakat Sun 26-Oct-14 19:18:39

£250 settling in grant (I presume per child) is fairly standard in this area. Adoption allowances seem to be getting rarer and when they are given are for a fixed amount of time (e.g. to cover adoption leave). If you would need an allowance I would suggest asking early in the matching process - when I tentatively asked I was told that as I hadn't raised it at the very first meeting (when I was busy desperately trying to make a good impression on 2 SWs from a different LA!) it was too late.... hmm

Jamfilter Sun 26-Oct-14 19:22:07

Here we got no allowance and no settling in grant (single child, mild disabilities). If your LA has led you to expect they are still providing these, then I'm sure they will confirm the amounts and duration, probably as part of the planning meeting after matching panel.

Copper13 Sun 26-Oct-14 22:05:15

No settling in grant and no allowance here either. No special needs though.

Themoleandcrew Sun 26-Oct-14 22:39:19

We received 750 per child (we adopted 2 with no sn) as a settling in but no adoption allowance. The LA we originally applied with paid nothing at all (this was not why we swapped agencies).
We are possibly adopting a further sibling and were told 140 a week was the maximum adoption allowance we would receive. But again there are no obvious special needs and we will not receive a settling in grant. (Different LA)
It seems to vary wildly.

Devora Mon 27-Oct-14 21:50:07

I got nothing, but I adopted a healthy baby.

MooseyMouse Mon 27-Oct-14 22:28:06

We got £400 per month. It was means tested and based on foster carer rates. We only qualified while I was on adoption leave but apparently, if our income drops we can apply again until our child is 18. He was a healthy baby.

fasparent Thu 30-Oct-14 15:34:02

Would discuss with your LA there is also the new Adoption Support fund for children with SN. Has now been extended too every LA. Also use the courts and your solicitor and court guardian, Dependent on extent of long term needs and required support also personal income, one could apply for
Adoption support which will be reviewed on an annual basis against your financial income.

krasnayakoshka Sat 08-Nov-14 12:28:28

Thanks everyone for helpful comments - am now discussing with our social worker...

crazycatlady2010 Mon 10-Nov-14 13:19:04

I was receiving £90 a fortnight, reviewed annually and been reduced to £60 a fortnight. Adopted as a single person, a toddler with asd who has been with me over a year. Hope that helps

2old2beamum Mon 10-Nov-14 19:00:47

I am amazed how much we get
DS 16 deafblind CP epilepsy gets £160/week
DD 9 Emanuel Syndrome gets £126/week
Both have complex health needs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now