Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

Changing names and Social media

(5 Posts)
MyFeetAreCold Fri 04-Apr-14 22:17:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

prumarth Sat 05-Apr-14 08:13:30

That's just all kinds of wrong. And the adoptive family relegated to one line at the end.

namechangesforthehardstuff Sat 05-Apr-14 08:45:41

I read the exchange of messages in Metro and it was red flag city. The mother basically bombarding her with messages, asking her repeatedly for a number to call her on etc. But that doesn't make for heartwarming news so it's all been nicely reframed as 'biological parenting trumps all'

prumarth Sat 05-Apr-14 11:42:12

The images and subtext made me feel really uncomfortable - the premise appears to be that you can just "pick up" where you left off. I wish them personally well but suspect future problems are lurking.

Italiangreyhound Sat 05-Apr-14 16:06:39

We don't want to change our new little one's name (not yet gone to panel) but I also don't want him to be tracked down if he doesn't want to be. I wondered about a funky nickname we could introduce naturally over the years and once he is internet savvy if he chooses to use that nickname ever he could use it on line with a photo not of him.

In a way the story here is of someone who was tracked down by the use of her first name and her image. Without both she would not have been tracked. But I can see for kids today not putting photos on facebook might be very, very hard, especially if all their friends are.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now