Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

90 day life span for adoption posts?

(54 Posts)
MyFeetAreCold Thu 20-Mar-14 20:38:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CheeryGiraffe Thu 20-Mar-14 20:47:12

<fills out ballot paper>

I agree with a 90 day limit, and not coming up in active conversations. smile

I need to get into the name changing thing. <makes reminder for tomorrow>

Inthebeginning Thu 20-Mar-14 20:57:02

I keep the same name feeling paranoid
Do you think it could be 90day optional? I just think for new newbies (not older newbies like me grin ) you generally adk the same question over and over again but having older threads help. But then some things are more sensitive and once you've asked/discussed you want it to go. not being very helpful I know! just mulling.
definitely agree with it being like sn board though.

CheeryGiraffe Thu 20-Mar-14 21:03:09

Ooh, yes, an optional 90 day would be perfect. We could have permanent threads for non personal info, and more sensitive stuff vanishes after 90 days. Well done, Inthe! grin

namechangesforthehardstuff Thu 20-Mar-14 21:07:44

YY to 90 days and to the protections the SN boards have.

And YY to nanechanging obv smile

I plan to change the moment we're through panel too but you'll know it's me by the fucking swearing...

Hels20 Thu 20-Mar-14 21:11:32

I like the idea of sometimes having a 90 day limit - but just thinking of all the questions Italian has posted recently and a lot of the answers are so useful and would be great for any new adopter.

HappySunflower Thu 20-Mar-14 21:20:14

I'd really like an 'off the beaten track' for adopters. Posts there aren't searchable, don't appear in active conversations, and disappear after a certain number if days.
The existing adoption board could still remain but for less sensitive posts.

We are having a difficult time and I can't post about it on here, which is sad as am a bit isolated at the moment.

MyFeetAreCold Thu 20-Mar-14 21:24:22

MyFeetAreCold Thu 20-Mar-14 21:25:10

Inthebeginning Thu 20-Mar-14 21:25:41

sorry to hear that happy . Did there ever used to be secret/hidden groups? or am I imagining that.
If I change my name, how can I flit between the two/what do I do?

HappySunflower Thu 20-Mar-14 21:33:51

Oh sod it. Floodgates open, am a snotty sobby mess now. It's always inevitable when people are being nice and lovely isn't it?!
No, can't post. Would be v identifiable I think, and the risk would give me even more to think about.
Thank you all though and sorry to hijack x

MyFeetAreCold Thu 20-Mar-14 21:34:00

MyFeetAreCold Thu 20-Mar-14 21:34:55

namechangesforthehardstuff Thu 20-Mar-14 21:47:41

Happy could you pm someone or a few people?

Or namechange and pm some people that? Or post somewhere else?

Does AUK have this issue?

soontobeethree Thu 20-Mar-14 21:56:40

Hmm, well I've changed it but can't seem to get the choice so I think this is me from now on (formally in the-I'm going to have to say that a few times aren't I?)
Happy I'm so sorry things are bad. I think you should msg someone if you want too. We're all here for you.

namechangesforthehardstuff Thu 20-Mar-14 22:03:18

On a phone? It should be under the post innit? Or are you using an app? It's a faff in the desktop tbh but not as much as having to correct my autocorrect on my sodding phone smile

namechangesforthehardstuff Thu 20-Mar-14 22:04:22

Just change every few months. And don't necessarily feel you have to tell everyone who you were. smile

OneOfOurLilkasIsMissing Fri 21-Mar-14 00:06:23

I completely agree with Inthebeginning - a quick tick box choice before you post a new thread would be a good solution

option A - your thread is archived, searchable and will appear on active convos

option B - your thread will disappear after (either 30 or 90) days, is not searchable and won't appear on active convos

It's the nature of this topic that some of our threads are extremely sensitive and it would be best for them to be deleted after a certain period, but others are less so, more general and full of a wealth of information that it would be a real shame to lose

With things that are too private to put on a public board, I'm not sure what to do, I'll think

OneOfOurLilkasIsMissing Fri 21-Mar-14 00:19:27

But if the design of the forums mean it isn't possible to have that option on one sub board, then either:

Every single thread on adoption has a 90 day limit, non-searchable, not on active convos.

Or there are two adoption boards, one a general board and one board for sensitive topics. Perhaps the more secure board could also be for foster carers because I'm sure they may also sometimes prefer more secure threads

I think I prefer option 2 personally, because I do use the archives and search adoption posts sometimes, and I think it would be a real shame to lose some of our threads. But some of the threads on this board need more security and we need some protection from goaders

MrsBW Fri 21-Mar-14 07:52:25

I look back through the archives and think it would be a shame to lose them.

But YY to an optional 'thread goes pfft' after 30 or 90 days.

Choccyjules Fri 21-Mar-14 09:01:13

Optional fine, please don't do a blanket disappearance. Over the past 18 months I have searched on every imaginable topic as it pops into my head and old threads here are still very relevant in most cases.

KristinaM Fri 21-Mar-14 09:06:26

I agree it would be a shame to lose all the adoption threads.

Maybe we need subdivisions on the adoption topic, like they have in social needs? Then we could have a heading similar to " chat", where they go after 90 days

Swansinflight Fri 21-Mar-14 09:28:33

I think I've done the name change thing.

Hesitant to go on about special needs board ad infinitum as they don't always have it set up right - but what they have is a SN Children board where posts stay on, which doesn't go in active convos but is (I think) searchable.

Then they also have an SN Chat Board which goes pfft after 90 days, doesn't show in active convos and is non searchable I believe.

Sometimes it's difficult to know which one to post or look in but generally it works quite well once you get the idea!

What do people think?

(And am I right that you can't name change on the app?)

Magslee Fri 21-Mar-14 09:36:37

I'd like to have the option of some threads disappearing and also think would be good for adoption posts not come up in active convos

Also maybe change the name of the board to 'adoption support' or something that makes it easier to point out to people who are either anti-adoption or ill-informed and wanting to muse on the general issues that they are in the wrong place

I had a couple of issues I wanted to post for support on recently and didn't because I was worried about the responses I might get from some of the people who have been posting recently (not the lovely majority of course!)

Also just wanted to say it is generally such a lovely board and it's great to have a place where adopters, adoptees and birth families all contribute to the discussion

KristinaM Fri 21-Mar-14 09:49:09

Yes I like that idea mags. If we have a " general debates about adoption " type topic, we can ask MN to move all the goady threads to there . And they can talk amongst themselves .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now