Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

Book recommendations?

(7 Posts)
hackneylady Tue 18-Mar-14 08:22:08

Can anyone recommend books on adoption that you've found particularly helpful? We're just at the exploratory stage, so anything that gives insight into the issues involved, how things seem from a child's perspective, how the experience might affect them, emotional issues for adopting parents etc

Thanks so much!

flowerpowerlondon Tue 18-Mar-14 15:41:27

Hi Hackneylady

I've found Healing Parents: Helping Wounded Children Learn to Trust & Love and adoption conversations very good, positive and easy to read. There are also good you tube links. One is the truth about adoption which are worth a look and filmed in the uk.

Happiestinwellybobs Tue 18-Mar-14 19:21:50

I found "What to Expect When You're Adopting...: A practical guide to the decisions and emotions involved in adoption" by Ian Palmer useful when we were starting out smile

Daisiemoo Tue 18-Mar-14 19:59:10

Sally Donovan no matter what
Gives you a real insight into life after adoption!

crazeekitty Tue 18-Mar-14 20:25:14

Related by Adoption was good for family members

CheeryGiraffe Wed 19-Mar-14 09:45:13

The ones I'd recommend (in addition to the above) are:

Toddler Adoption - A Weaver's Craft by Mary Hopkins-Best (covers issues specific to children aged 12 - 36 months, it's American so some stuff doesn't apply)

Real Children, Real Parents by Holly van Gulden (bit text book like, but good for covering the most common adoption issues of attachment, grief, development etc.)

Bubble Wrapped Children by Helen Oakwater (covers how to optimise contact, discuss the child's past, sensory memories that the child can't vocalise etc.)

What Every Parent Needs to Know by Margot Sunderland (general child development book, but is very good for development, attachment etc.)

I am currently reading Sally Donovan's No Matter What, and it's excellent.

Chocomint Wed 19-Mar-14 15:20:28

I'd also recommend No Matter What by Sally Donovan plus From Fear to Love by Bryan Post

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now