Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

Music therapy - advice/recommendations appreciated

(12 Posts)
sunshine80 Wed 05-Mar-14 23:38:13

Hi all
I am looking at the possibility of music therapy for my 4 year old daughter and was wondering if anyone had accessed this and if it was successful. we are in the midlands and wondered if anyone can recommend a group that does this?

thanks

fasparent Thu 06-Mar-14 17:06:40

Google "Drake music project" is for the disabled but should have external links too others . Patron is Jules Holland.
Good hunting.

eatyourveg Thu 06-Mar-14 17:19:54

ds2 had music therapy for over 10 years and we managed to fight for it to be part of his statement. He has ASD/MLD and the music therapy, other than encouraging him to talk was hugely influential in helping his confidence and enabling to channel his emotions, particularly useful at times of change and uncertainty when his anxiety was through the roof. Cannot recommend it highly enough.

Look here to see who operates on the Midlands

sunshine80 Thu 06-Mar-14 18:39:14

Brilliant thanks for your replies, think it will benefit her and be an outlet for her emotions and help with her difficulties associated with her Foetal Alcohol Syndrome
She loves music and dancing but cant cope with group activities so hopefully she will enjoy this and it may benefit her.
Anything is worth a try.
Does anyone know if children with disabilities can access funding for this?
I know it's probably like everything else and it will need to be self funded.
Thanks again everyone

sunshine80 Thu 06-Mar-14 18:39:24

Brilliant thanks for your replies, think it will benefit her and be an outlet for her emotions and help with her difficulties associated with her Foetal Alcohol Syndrome
She loves music and dancing but cant cope with group activities so hopefully she will enjoy this and it may benefit her.
Anything is worth a try.
Thanks again everyone

sunshine80 Thu 06-Mar-14 18:40:15

Anything is worth a try.
Thanks again everyone

Finickynotfussy Thu 06-Mar-14 18:40:57

Nordoff-Robbins are the experts.

Chottie Thu 06-Mar-14 18:41:13

DGS is having music therapy as part of his care package. It is arranged via SS and is run at the local hospital. He really responds to it well.

sunshine80 Thu 06-Mar-14 18:41:51

Sorry for posting the above so many times, computer froze so I kept clicking but it obviously did send

eatyourveg Thu 06-Mar-14 21:50:08

yes you can get it funded if its in their statement of sn - thats how we did it

fasparent Fri 07-Mar-14 12:09:21

Mine have FAS and other problems Autism, CP have been engaged with Drake Music for some years . Were doing a GIG at a night club last Monday. Have performed at 02 Arena and many other venues. Drake are brilliant.

fasparent Fri 07-Mar-14 12:30:22

Just an after thought DANCE the IDTA now include Disabled children but will operate in an inclusion process classes with able children and dance partners . One of mine is now Area Champion Latin and Ballroom and 3rd in the UK . he love it especially more important the inclusion. There are lots of IDTA affiliated dance schools but would think not all will cater for disability's.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now