Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

stupid question - schools

(22 Posts)
namechangesforthehardstuff Wed 05-Mar-14 14:26:56

It is. It really is. But they say there's no such thing as a stupid question so...

DD (BC) is going into reception in September. She is at nursery in a lovely little school round the corner (school A) which is one form entry. There is a two form entry school (school B) a little closer to us in the other direction, it's that little bit bigger, bit rougher... Both Ofsted 'good' schools.

Catchment areas in our area are about 2.5 metres across. We'll almost certainly be offered school B. Catchment for school A last year was about ten metres under how far we are from the school...

So here's the stupid question:

Given that we go to panel in April; given that this year will be bloody disruptive for DD if we then are matched and placed AND she has to move schools for reception in September; given that we would prefer an AC to go to school A because it's just that bit smaller and quieter: do we have ANY case to make for DD to go to school A?

I am guessing the answer is just a straight no...

Meita Wed 05-Mar-14 14:52:00

Hm. For what it's worth, we are in a similar situation; DS to start school in Sept, us going to panel in May. So we are thinking about how to limit disruptions to DS' life, too.

But no. The answer is no. Sorry. Unless you get a GP to sign off on it being a medical need… I don't think it would count as exceptional social /medical circumstances.

AC would most likely get into school A, no probs, and once there, your DD may be able to switch - under sibling rules she'd probably move quite high up onto the waiting list. But that's still years away presumably and by then you might not be wanting to move her anyway.

I'd say, be optimistic, the bigger school might just turn out to be perfect for your DD. And there's nothing you can do about it now.

One thing we're keeping in mind is that depending on the timing of matching and placement, we might defer DS' school start, or only send him part-time for a certain period. Just being flexible and decide what to do when the time comes.

Moomoomie Wed 05-Mar-14 15:07:09

To be honest with you, I was all set to send our girls to a little village school until dd1 started at the pre school, it just wasn't right for us. I'm not totally sure why.
So all three of mine have gone to a bigger school, 3 classes per year group. We have been very happy with our decision, being a bigger school they have more resources, dd3 has a 1:1 TA without having a statement, I'm not sure the resources would be there for a smaller school.
So, it is not necessarily the case that school A would be best for an adopted child, although you don't know that yet.

fasparent Wed 05-Mar-14 16:28:18

If children are adopted from care or are SGO's school choice should not be a problem also children will be entitled too New pupil premium plus for Adopted children leaving LA care, SGO's, and kinship carer's (grand parents and such) amounts too £1900pa too help with any additional needs children may have. My two have just been accepted in too a good school out of area with different LA for example. , and will also get Premium plus allowance, balance transferred too new school.

fasparent Wed 05-Mar-14 17:10:52

Sorry forgot too say our DS has CP and Autism we visited several school's with DS prior too choosing one regarded as suitable too his needs, which helped a lot . Schools admission forms will have area's on them regards leaving care information. Adoption. SGO. and Kinship care all apply, such children are
accepted as priority., or should be, regards school choice in or out of your LA area.

Italiangreyhound Wed 05-Mar-14 17:13:18

If you think there is a case, why not make it. Why not get a 'no' or a 'yes' from them? Better to ask and get a 'no' than not to ask (IMHO). Good luck.

PS Smaller might not be better but worth exploring both to see which will suit needs best.

namechangesforthehardstuff Wed 05-Mar-14 17:27:15

Thanks for the responses.

School B isn't just smaller; headteacher seemed a bit...stupid unclear as to various fairly obvious things about pastoral care. For example when I asked what the school's philosophy on behaviour was she looked at me blankly and then said 'Well we just do what you'd do at home - the naughty step and things'. So an AC won't be going there smile

Italian you may be right - maybe I'll just give the LA a call in the morning and explain the situation.

fasparent DD is our BC not adopted smile

fasparent Wed 05-Mar-14 17:28:38

Sorry forgot too say our DS has CP and Autism we visited several school's with DS prior too choosing one regarded as suitable too his needs, which helped a lot . Schools admission forms will have area's on them regards leaving care information. Adoption. SGO. and Kinship care all apply, such children are
accepted as priority., or should be, regards school choice in or out of your LA area.

allthingswillpass Wed 05-Mar-14 17:30:57

Can we assume DD is not adopted?

fasparent Wed 05-Mar-14 17:32:14

Sorry read your post wrong still information may be of use too others
many apology's again.

Italiangreyhound Wed 05-Mar-14 17:39:28

Names try and get the local authority on your side, maybe. Maybe ask for some advice or check out any information on the websites first. So that you can back up why you have chosen one school. Avoid the word 'rough' (I know you used it here and would not say it to them), maybe say bigger or whatever. If you can get someone to agree a style may suit better then your example would work well, for example how can you send the child to a school that will have a naughty step (not everyone uses that so what people do at home may vary!) when you know that may well not work for them and may have opposite affect! I think your issue will be proving why your dd should go to that school.

Have you already tried and not got a place there?

namechangesforthehardstuff Wed 05-Mar-14 18:28:17

No italian I won't say rough. I may refrain from calling the HT an idiot too. She'd get a shock if she came here if she thinks behaviour management is limited to a naughty step I can tell you grin

Thanks fasparent - always good to have your advice smile

allthingswillpass Wed 05-Mar-14 18:35:31

Sorry didn't refresh before adding comment.

Italiangreyhound Wed 05-Mar-14 19:22:55

Didn't think you would names but had to say it, I am a blurter!

namechangesforthehardstuff Wed 05-Mar-14 19:29:18

Italian grin

crazeekitty Wed 05-Mar-14 19:41:28

All children from care get the school of their choice. Rules just changed and this will be true even after adoption order is granted. You are entitled to the school you want

namechangesforthehardstuff Wed 05-Mar-14 19:56:13

She's not adopted Crazee. Her sibling will be but so far s/he is an imaginary sibling wink

Devora Wed 05-Mar-14 21:10:48

I tried something similar when getting dd1 (bd) into a school. We ended up both moving house later and getting matched earlier than anticipated, so moved into a house with room for dd2 after application closing date. We were facing having to get two buses, an hour each way, to get dd1 into school. (I don't drive.) I asked the Council if it would help if I could get the social worker to say it would be too disruptive for dd2, fresh into placement, to have all this public transport malarkey.

They said absolutely no way, that they only consider LAC/adoption as an additional need if it directly applies to the child who the school place is for; they don't consider indirect impact on other family members.

It's worth you asking, but that's the response I got. Good luck.

Italiangreyhound Wed 05-Mar-14 21:16:56

Devora that is so crap! Sorry to hear that. Can't believe there is anywhere that one has such a massive journey to school.

crazeekitty Wed 05-Mar-14 21:41:02

Sorry! Completely misunderstood

fasparent Wed 05-Mar-14 21:41:11

No DS was not adopted but is now on a SGO. Finding a school was difficult but those we visited could offer a place, One school had all the naughty children lined up time out in the entrance hall, we had baby with us they broke the lines wanted too see baby, teachers were afraid aghast. We let them all have a cuddle they were brilliant with her. Did not go down well with teachers, He did not go there.

namechangesforthehardstuff Wed 05-Mar-14 22:40:23

No need to be sorry Crazee - it's an adoption board, people might legitimately assume I'm talking about an adopted child smile

Thanks for sharing Devora - I rather think that will be the case sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now