Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

What do they exactly look for in a safety inspection.

(5 Posts)
april74 Wed 31-May-06 09:53:25

been told by social worker, next time she comes she will do a safety inspection round the house. Just wandered what that would cover.

Anyone any expereince.

I can see it being too bad as I have managed to bring up a ds without any problems.

Issyfit Wed 31-May-06 09:58:59

Just casting my mind back to our safety inspections, for the under 3s I think it covered things like hob guard, stair gates, plug covers, door locks on cupboards containing chemicals (unless of course the chemicals have a childproof cap), window locks, enclosed garden etc..

You probably need to wander around the house thinking about the age of the child you are looking to adopt and what could go wrong. I don't think all the things I've mentioned are necessarily required, but those are the things we put in place when we were going to adopt a one year old. Clearly, the list would be radically different for a new-born/five year old.

Issymum/Issyfit

april74 Wed 31-May-06 10:01:32

many thanks for that.

my ds is 6, so we dont need locks on cupboards and have since been thrown away etc etc. of course I will get new ones if the age requires them.

Don't have window locks though, that could be a worry.

Issyfit Wed 31-May-06 10:22:43

I don't think you necessarily need window locks, you just need to show that you have thought about the safety implications e.g. we know we don't have window locks so we'll make sure that we don't open the lower portion of the upstairs windows in rooms to which the child will have access. That kind of thing.

april74 Mon 05-Jun-06 20:22:33

It actually was very bizarre, she came round and have about a 5 second look in each room before mentioning that she actually wont be doing the safety report, it will be another social worker at another time.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: