Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

Draining day

(12 Posts)
Hayleyh34 Sat 11-May-13 22:22:22

Just had one of those days and need some hand holding. DD has screamed at us throughout the whole day, did my very best to stay calm with her but snapped at her a few times. She threw everything in the book at us and said she wanted a new family. Feel so very drained confused

Devora Sat 11-May-13 23:25:58

Here, both hands outstretched

How old is dd?

KristinaM Sat 11-May-13 23:33:35

No wonder you are exhausted :-(

Italiangreyhound Sat 11-May-13 23:58:44

Hayley so sorry to hear this. Stay strong.

I have no experience at all but I wonder if she testing? Is she wondering, if I am horrible will they get rid of me? No idea at all but I wonder.

I can recommend a fantastic book called 'How to Talk So Kids Will Listen and Listen So Kids Will Talk' by Adele Faber & Elaine Mazlish.

How to Talk So Kids Will Listen and Listen So Kids Will Talk

It might help a bit to have something positive to focus on.

Lilka Sun 12-May-13 01:36:09

Have both my hands as well x

Hope you are in bed now and resting...I hope you wake up feeling less drained. Every day is a new day <trite I know, but telling that to myself along with 'this too shall pass' has actually been helpful to me when going to bed after very exhausting days>

Hayleyh34 Sun 12-May-13 09:31:47

Thanks everyone. DD is 5 and has been with us for 2 and a half years. We have cycles of hard behaviour and we're in the midst of it at the moment. Have woken up feeling refreshed and ready to tackle the day! Really appreciate the responses last night. This is bloody hard at times isn't it?

Moomoomie Sun 12-May-13 13:16:11

Hayley.... I feel your pain, hopefully today is abetter day for you all.
Pick your battles.
Keep reassuring her of your love.

Happiestinwellybobs Sun 12-May-13 14:08:02

Hope today is a better one smile

Hayleyh34 Sun 12-May-13 19:43:15

Much better day today thanks. Spent most of last night telling her that she is not a bad girl as she thinks what happened to her in the past happened because she was bad confused. We had a big family lunch today that I thought would be tough for her but overall it was good. Hope you've all had good weekends.

Devora Sun 12-May-13 21:44:03

Oh Hayley, your poor little girl.

Really glad today was easier. Hope it gave you breathing space and renewed strength.

Lilka Sun 12-May-13 21:53:58

It's so sad, your poor little thing sad

Thanks goodness today was easier on you all, I'm glad to hear it and hope you enjoyed lunch

My weekend has been good thank you smile You know, I dug out a poem today which I wrote before christmas after my own DD2 had an awful night/day and realised that despite having tough times recently she is on a relatively stable keel, so it was good to see she stills progresses

Your little girl will grow in her understanding, and she will come to realise she did nothing at all wrong

At some point you will be able to look back on yesterday and think 'goodness how far DD has come since then, she understands so much more now' which is a good thought

Hayleyh34 Mon 13-May-13 06:28:52

Thanks Devora and Lilka, it's nice to communicate with other people who know what it's like.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now