Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

Keepsake to marke Celebration Day

(11 Posts)
FamiliesShareGerms Sun 13-Jan-13 18:35:15

We have a lovely photo of the four of us from that day, which is one of the few that we have up on the wall

KristinaM Thu 10-Jan-13 21:16:10

What lovely family traditions smile

Italiangreyhound Wed 09-Jan-13 20:42:07

Wow angel what a lovely idea, there is so much wisdom on this adoption section of Mumsnet, lovely ideas.

AngelsWithSilverWings Wed 09-Jan-13 20:28:30

We kept the cake decoration too.

For both of ours we had a cake made in the shape of a car. We asked the cake lady to put number plates with the DCs initials and our surname on to celebrate the fact that they were getting a new surname.

This thread has made me happy thinking back to our celebration days. They really were two of the happiest days of my life.

Italiangreyhound Wed 09-Jan-13 20:19:12

Sorry, should have said that unsurprisingly the cake decoration for our wedding looked a lot like me and DH (same type dress etc - me, not DH!) and the dedication thing was a baby in pink, I think in cradle.... I expect that was all obvious. We expected to adopt a slightly older child which is why we would go for the same kind of updated thing.

Italiangreyhound Wed 09-Jan-13 20:16:47

Wow, these ideas are so beautiful, we are a long way away from that day so far but I LOVE these ideas, beautiful things that are hopefully full of meaning. I am making a note of them and one day hope to use them!

Sorry Bealola not adopted yet so can't offer a concrete idea, but we do have a birth DD and had her dedicated. As she was a baby still we had a special cake decoration which we kept long after the cake was eaten. Likewise with our wedding cake we had a special ornament on it and kept it. I think if we get to the celebration day stage that is what we would do, if we could not find a suitable ornament of sugar decoration that would last I think we would engage a relative (who is a cake maker) to find something suitable to use and to keep as this would add to the family tradition. I think I'd go for something to represent the child at the right stage/age, and although it would be something for me/us to keep I guess it would pass along to the child one day so it's not so much a gift as a part of the celebration ifswim!

Moomoomie Wed 09-Jan-13 20:02:00

We bought our daughters a gold bracelet each, adult size, for adoption day. We did intend to have them engraved but never did. Oops.

We also had family photographs taken at a local studio.

Also we invited all the family for a tea party at ours. We have had two adoption days for our three children. Very special days.

AngelsWithSilverWings Wed 09-Jan-13 19:33:43

I put together a scrap book of the day for my DS and again for my DD.

I included photos of us all sitting in the Judges chair , some with my DS wearing the Judges wig! Also photos of a special cake I had had made for the day and a selection of the cards that we received.

I had made formal invitations to the event so put one of those in as well as a copy of the menu from the restaurant where we had the celebration meal.

I also had their hand and footprint pressed into clay ( there was a pottery place next to the restaurant! ) on the day of the celebration.

Our day was so special , I hope your's is too!

fidelma Wed 09-Jan-13 19:22:14

The children love their books.

fidelma Wed 09-Jan-13 19:20:38

I am guessing this is the day you adopt your children?

I didn't have christenings for my children but a blessing.Which we did ourselves.The best thing (apart rom the party) was that we created a book for them.We asked everyone to put something in the book.

eg. a poem,religious text,a letter some children did a picture.It is not huge but they are filled with love and words of wisdom.It is also great for adding certificates etc. One named godparent wrote a letter saying welcome to the world and sadly they wouldn't be very good at the godly bit but that they would always be there for them with a meal round the table and a good bottle of wine.And they would be able to help them with ant advice they needed!
Happy days x

BeaLola Wed 09-Jan-13 14:36:19

Thinking ahead to a few months time (fingers crossed) was wondering if anyone bought their DC a keepsake to mark the occasion ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now