Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

Adoption celebration party ideas....

(10 Posts)
SullyO Tue 20-Sep-11 15:12:02

Hi All,

DH and I have just had our adoption order granted for our 2 little ones and are having our celebration in court soon, however we wanted to throw a celebration party for rest of the family and friends to celebrate with us.

Has anyone done this before and what did you do? Got quite a large family so in the home is probably off but don't want to spend a fortune! Not really sure what etiquette is either....

Thanks for any advice/ideas.

SullyO

babynamesgrrrrrrrrrrrrr Tue 20-Sep-11 17:46:18

Congrats! how exciting!!!! Could you do it at a village hall or are you worried about upsetting the kids with all the attention?

Mumleigh Tue 20-Sep-11 18:46:48

We took our family ( 16 of us in total)to a restaurant after the celebration ceremony and had balloon table decorations and a cake that was in the shape of a car with the number plates showing DS's new name!

It was a lovely relaxed day.

We sort of treated it in the same way you would a small intimate christening.

I don't think there is any etiquette as such as what we did was v different to what our friends did on their celebration days.

We told the family that it was a chance to officially welcome our DS into the family.

Congratulations!

Kewcumber Wed 21-Sep-11 17:37:08

we had coffee and cake in th eexpensive tea shop outside the court in Holborn invited very close family (siblings and mother - no other halves or cousins/neices etc) and the social worker/guardian/solicitor. SO no big party for us!

Freinds had lunch at a local restaurant with close family and freinds (about 20)

I think it rather depends on teh age of your DC's and what they think and how privtae you want it to be. It felt like a very intimate moment for us but I can understand others wanting to "celebrate" it more publically.

hester Wed 21-Sep-11 17:39:25

We've got ours this week and I have organised nothing at all.
I really am a crap parent. But it doesn't make me any less thrilled to have her grin

Kewcumber Wed 21-Sep-11 17:46:35

Hester are you in London or out in teh wilds - because if its Holborn I highly recommend the Pauls opposite!

hifi Wed 21-Sep-11 18:31:07

we had dd1's in a community hall. bouncy castle, and a friend of mine brought her baby gym equipment. had a tea party for the kids and a friend did canapes for the adults. The invite had a photo of dd and gave details of her birthday and new name.
dd2,lunch at a west end restaurant after the final hearingblush

hester Wed 21-Sep-11 21:06:25

We're going to the magistrates court right here in the borough, kew. Any recs? grin

Kewcumber Wed 21-Sep-11 23:27:17

Ah I don;t know it - and all ICA's have to go up to princiapl registry of family div in Holborn. I know you know a place that does good ice cream wink sounds just the ticket...

UniS Wed 21-Sep-11 23:40:33

SiL has done a couple of different things to celebrate different childrens adoptions.

A Family party at Grandparents as that was largest house.
An "at home" party, drop in sometime that day , invited lots of friends and family but not all there at same time.
A short church celebration service (handy having a priest in family) with friends and family followed by lunch at home for close family.

We held a welcome to family party for our child at a small village hall as house not very big and we wanted to invite the extended family and " introduce" our baby rather than have a christening.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now