Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

Adopting a child whilst living abroad

(7 Posts)
TheBossofMe Wed 22-Jun-11 06:13:04

My first post on this subject, am hoping someone will be able to point me in the right direction. I am a British citizen living and working in Thailand for a couple of years, aged 39, DH is 42, with DD aged 3 (she is our bio child).

We would like to adopt a child (for various reasons, its looking unlikely that i can conceive or carry a child to term again) whilst still living abroad. But I have no idea where to start, what the implications are for the child when we return back to the UK (is he/she a British citizen), what the legal implications/processes are, whether we have to be approved by UK authorities for adoption etc.

Can anyone help?

jollijojo Wed 22-Jun-11 06:34:51

Hi. I suspect that you would need to be assessed and approved by British authorities. Usually your local authority would do this... If you do not have a current address that you use in the UK, maybe contact the independent adoption service? This is their number in London: 020 77031088 or email: admin@i-a-s.org.uk. International adoptions can be tricky and expensive. But IAS can maybe advise...

beemail Wed 22-Jun-11 08:58:14

I suggest you contact the Intercountry Adoption Centre
www.icacentre.org.uk who will be able to advise. I know people who have done this (though not Thailand) and have just had to "readopt"when returning to the UK - they will probably be able to put you in touch will others in same situation
Good luck

KristinaM Wed 22-Jun-11 18:45:52

As i understand it, if you live in Thailand you can submit an adoption application with the Child Adoption Centre in Bangkok. there is more information here

there is information here about the entry requirement for a child adopted abroad to enter the uk

TheBossofMe Thu 23-Jun-11 00:30:13

Thank you so much!

Shanghai Mon 18-Jul-11 21:37:44

I don't know what the situation is like in Thailand but we're currently in a very similar position in China (we're waiting for our daughter now) and we found the British Embassy were fantastically helpful. As I understand it, we don't even need to "readopt" back in UK but there are certain requirements such as we're not allowed to repatriate back to the UK for (I think) 2 years after we get our daughter. Maybe worth talking to the British Embassy. Good luck!

Kewcumber Tue 19-Jul-11 14:59:32

you don't need to readopt in th UK because CHina is a Hague country and so chinese adoptions are recognised in teh UK. I don't think Thailand is Hague but someone can crrect me if I'm wrong.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now