Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

would applying through a certain London borough be more advantageous to us?

(9 Posts)
ikea Tue 11-Jan-11 14:20:25

Hello,

Have name changed.

I am Asian Chinese and my husband is white caucasion, we have 2 bc. I am researching which boroughs other than our own to attend information sessions and possibly apply through and wonder if applying to a certain borough maybe more advantageous being a mixed raced family with mixed race bc?

I understand once successful and after 3 months on the register you are placed nationally anyway, but wondering if anyone is aware of more diverse boroughs that may look at us more approvingly than others iykwim!

Thanks so much

crystalglasses Tue 11-Jan-11 20:49:41

I'm surprised you have the option to apply for housing in borough where you have no connection. hmm

uptomyeyes Tue 11-Jan-11 20:56:06

Crystal glasses -I think Ikea is applying to adopt not be housed.

A very good friend of mine applied through Westminster and Lambeth and was successful on two occasions with Westminster- both children were asian/white dual heritage. My friend is white and his wife has a tiny percentage of Singaporean (I think). Both children were under 1 when they were adopted and my friends lived in Lambeth.

HTH Good luck.

crystalglasses Tue 11-Jan-11 21:18:24

Sorry. I'm not familiar with adoption!

Kewcumber Tue 11-Jan-11 22:59:49

Best avoid the threads beginnging with "adoption" then crystal grin

Sorry can;t advise ikea but if you call a few local authorities adoption depts they may be able to help.

hester Tue 11-Jan-11 23:03:30

Hi ikea. Yes, you can go with any borough so it makes sense to find one that may be looking to place children with a family like yours. We certainly went with a borough where the local population reflected the mixed ethnicity of our family (though in the end we adopted a child from elsewhere).

Two others things are just as important, though. First, your family's ethnic mix is not common in adoption, so you need to find an agency that will be energetic and committed to helping you find a child through the national adoption register, should that be necessary. Our social worker was a sweetheart who really believed in us; she took us onto the national register almost straight away, without having to wait three months. She was a really strong advocate for us and that is so important.

Third thing: don't forget to find an agency that will be efficient as well! We were very clear that we wanted an agency that (a) needed families like ours, and (b) would be very professional and effective. FWIW, we went with Ealing, who followed up our initial enquiry really quickly and were highly organised and friendly throughout. I honestly can't fault them - they've been brilliant to us.

Best of luck x

hester Tue 11-Jan-11 23:05:16

Just a thought: you might want to look at those boroughs that have a real diversity in the population, rather than those with a couple of very dominant minority ethnic populations, IYSWIM. Newham, for example, or Southwark? (I have no idea if Newham or Southwark are right for you, just a quick thought.)

ikea Wed 12-Jan-11 13:12:42

Thank you ladies, very useful information.

oinker Wed 12-Jan-11 21:27:10

Ikea,from what I understand is as long as
you are within an hours commute of the chosen LA you can contact them and show interest. They will advise you if they have children with your heritage/cultural match.
Having looked at several Adoption UK magazines and LA's I would Chelsea and Westminster. I contacted all of these and they were very helpful.
Good Luck.
WARNING.... when you do pick up the phone to make the call prepare yourself for a 20 minute + informal interview... It's not stressful theyre just after info about you and family etc...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: