Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

Statutory Assessment of Needs

(4 Posts)
walesblackbird Thu 16-Dec-10 16:41:40

Approx 6/7 weeks ago I verbally requested a formal Assessment of Needs for my child. Met with SW - who attended a meeting at school with me - and was told that this would go ahead as my child's needs were urgent.

Have now been pressing for this but have just been told that due to sickness etc we can't be allocated a sw.

Is there a formal timescale for this procedure? I didn't request this in writing but do have email correspondence re this request. And a copy of the request which has gone from our SW to the assessing team.

Does anyone know what the legal situation is regarding this. I'm very disappointed as we need the help now - not in six months/12 months or never.

hester Thu 16-Dec-10 22:37:26

I'm sorry, I don't know. But bumping for you.

walesblackbird Fri 17-Dec-10 14:22:18

Thank you. I've since found out that there is not statutory timescale for this to happen. Which is a real pain as my little man needs the help now rather than later. But the law does state that sickness is not a good enough reason to not complete the assessment on a timely basis.

I'm going to give them until after Xmas then and if they still don't pull their fingers out I may contact my MP to see if he can get things moving.

Kristingle Fri 17-Dec-10 16:04:59

Try the special needs section of mumsnet, that's where all the experts on this live

I think you should put your concerns in writing now

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now