Talk

Advanced search

Prince2: Anyone recommend?

(12 Posts)
silverlinedclouds Tue 12-Jun-18 14:39:22

Can anyone recommend Prince 2? Did it help with your career?

I'm considering a career change. Whilst I've worked with a lot of project managers (as their stakeholder), I've never managed a project myself and I'm considering this as a career option.

Any advice?

chickenchip Tue 12-Jun-18 14:41:35

Prince 2 is very structured and in reality I've not seen it used as described. It is however seen as a must have qualification so if you want to get into project management I'd recommend you do it.

coffeemonster28 Wed 13-Jun-18 10:06:50

I'm an ex-academic (PhD in sociology) turned project manager, almost 10 years experience now - as previous poster said, PRINCE2 is a very rigidly structured framework that bears little resemblance to the reality of running projects... at the same time, most organisations recruiting project managers will ask for when recruiting, so it is pretty much essential if you want a project management job. But don;t expect that the course will teach you much about project management,

silverlinedclouds Sun 17-Jun-18 13:20:51

Thanks both. Seems like it's a necessary evil if I want to do anything project management related. hmm

SymphonyofShadows Sun 17-Jun-18 13:28:05

I've passed the exams but have never used it on a project. All the PM contracts I've had have used in-house systems or things like Remedy (going back a bit there!). I've only got my Foundation now as I haven't bothered to go back and re-sit but I do find it useful sometimes, when I have to point out to some arse that I do actually know my stuff, even if I don't have forensic knowledge of their tiny little component.

ChocAuVin Sun 17-Jun-18 13:33:04

I passed both Foundation and Practitioner last year but don’t use the methodology—too rigid. It was about gaining more credibility in a new role for me.

titchy Sun 17-Jun-18 13:34:52

Prince is pretty old school - it's all about Agile these days, which is the opposite of Prince!

fuckadoodledandy Sun 17-Jun-18 13:54:26

Agree with all pp... P2 is a box tick if you're recruiting a PM but tbh you'd be better off getting some real world experience in whatever way you're able then doing a qualification. I wouldn't employ a PM just because they had P2. Also agree re Agile being a more in demand qualification right now, though depends what business you would be looking to move into.

Not hugely helpful reading the above, sorry, it's difficult to advise more without a bit more info re background, aims etc.

stonewashed Sun 17-Jun-18 21:57:14

Out of interest what industries would Agile be used in ?

thesandwich Sun 17-Jun-18 22:00:20

Groupon often do prince courses.

coffeemonster28 Mon 18-Jun-18 09:29:35

Agile is mostly used in the IT world

MyTeapot Mon 18-Jun-18 09:32:24

I'm a PRINCE2 practitioner. I did it when an NHS project manager. It was useless! I wouldn't recommend it, however as PP have said it's a box to tick if your employer is paying for you to do it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: