Talk

Advanced search

This afternoons announcement

(13 Posts)
weetabix07 Mon 19-Feb-18 12:42:34

Re tuition fees. How might this impact universities? One can only speculate right now - but the gossip is apparently some courses will be made to charge less in fees which I can imagine won't be good for certain departments.

Well- I guess we will hear soon enough..

Heratnumber7 Mon 19-Feb-18 12:48:09

As this is Academics' corner, I'll just point out that it should be
<This afternoon's announcement>.
wink

weetabix07 Mon 19-Feb-18 15:08:25

smilehalo

mrsroboto Mon 19-Feb-18 16:35:47

A good overview and related articles here: wonkhe.cmail19.com/t/ViewEmail/d/976C75BB56EBCD1E2540EF23F30FEDED/B3C01B98E736EAC52A1BF84ACBDD178B

TheRagingGirl Mon 19-Feb-18 22:28:09

Well, it'll only work if they charge the full amount for courses which cost more the £9k. Like Medicine etc. But I'm in Arts & Humanities, and I know my programme doesn't quite break even at £9k.

I can't believe what a fucking mess these Tories have made of the UK's education system. It was once one of the best in the world. Well, I only have about 8 years to go, and by then I may well be glad to leave a profession I've given my life to.

weetabix07 Tue 20-Feb-18 00:21:55

Thanks Mrs - will read and digest.

stabilio Tue 20-Feb-18 00:23:03

But it was Tony Blair who introduced the fees?

user369060 Tue 20-Feb-18 08:34:30

The Labour government introduced fees at reasonable levels.

Since 2012, and the 9k fees/drops on student caps, we have seen high volatility, with many courses expanding numbers rapidly to annihilate competition and make profits to support weaker courses. None of this is good for education.

Raging - the anticipation is the net income for universities will simply be reduced, with corresponding large numbers of job losses. And the job losses will come from academics as it will be argued that the admin teams are still needed to recruit, maintain student satisfaction etc in a competitive market.

wizzywig Tue 20-Feb-18 08:36:11

Im hoping this will come into play for masters degrees too

user369060 Tue 20-Feb-18 08:58:38

You're hoping what will come into play for masters degrees?

Cuts in fees? And correspondingly masters programmes being discontinued because they run at a loss? Academics being sacked? Less tuition being offered? The best academics moving abroad to countries that don't keep cutting their salaries and increasing their workloads?

Be careful what you wish for.

One thing I did take from yesterday's announcement is that some courses may well increase fees, if they can justify higher fees via teaching costs/income of graduates. On these grounds many of the best UK masters programmes could easily move to charging UK entrants the full international rate.

weetabix07 Tue 20-Feb-18 10:51:08

@user369060 I'm inclined to feel the way you do. From our perspective, it is worrying.

TheRagingGirl Tue 20-Feb-18 17:55:33

And the job losses will come from academics as it will be argued that the admin teams are still needed to recruit, maintain student satisfaction etc in a competitive market

With no-one left to teach them!

This current government & its predecessor are philistine barbarians.

TheRagingGirl Tue 20-Feb-18 17:57:02

On these grounds many of the best UK masters programmes could easily move to charging UK entrants the full international rate.

Most courses actually cost the international rate. Overseas students subsidise domestic students.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: