Research strategy

(5 Posts)
confusedacademic Tue 07-Nov-17 17:55:36

NC as some people in RL know my username.

I'm applying for a new academic position and it asks for a 2 page research strategy for the next 3-4 years. Does anyone have any templates or suggestions for a format for this?
Thanks

OP’s posts: |
Marasme Tue 07-Nov-17 20:15:57

1) previous successes you will build on / are building on
2) big pots of cash you are applying for / winning
3) big names you have started to reel in for collaborations
4) how all this cash and these collaborations will contribute to hire the world, and publish 5* papers
5) how an entire new field will be defined by 1-4, pushing your institution to the vanguard of enlightenment.

Summerswallow Wed 08-Nov-17 08:57:52

Marasme that made me smilesmile Good advice at the core, which is show how what you've done will lead to more grants/bids, with whom, targeted where so that there's a plausibility to it (and who knows, maybe you will push your institution forward into the light!)

confusedacademic Wed 08-Nov-17 09:09:36

Haha thanks! That's really useful in helping me structure my thoughts. It would be a move from a teaching focussed university to a more research intensive institution, and although I've got a strong research background it's taken a hit in recent years.

OP’s posts: |
Deianira Wed 08-Nov-17 13:50:02

I have seen these quite often tied to the REF cycle or to 5 year slots of time, as well as by project. The latter just involves writing up your strategy for a project, grants to be applied for for particular stages of it, conferences involved, expected outputs. The former goes through your research plan for the next 5 years chronologically, saying what you'll be doing when, and scattering outputs etc. as relevant along those years.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in