Talk

Advanced search

What to wear to interview?

(14 Posts)
Jaagojaago Wed 01-Feb-17 08:16:34

Am south Asian, just turned 32, shoulder length hair. Size 12 on top 14 bottom, 5 foot 6.

Had applied for a Senior Lecturer position and been called for the job talk and interview.

Is a fitted black knee length skirt with black leggings and ballet type shoes okay to interview in with a full sleeved pastel-slightly printed on arms fitted blue top? It's a subdued navy blue and has a "soft" look to it. Not a formal top but looked really nice when I tried on the combo.

Or do I need a suit? Been a lecturer for the last 5 years and my last interview 5 years ago was a s a freshly minted 26 year old PhD I may have turned up in jeans (no.......hope not)

Do I need to invest in a suit for this next step up?

iveburntthetoast Wed 01-Feb-17 08:42:39

In my field that would be fine. Men always seem to turn up in suits, but not women. The last SL appointment, the only woman turned up in black trousers that were slightly tattered at the bottom and UGG boots. She got the job.

Foureyesarebetterthantwo Wed 01-Feb-17 09:06:13

I think this is fine, female lecturers don't tend to wear suits, or at least not til they hit management! Smart clean clothes is what is required. I would make a bit of an effort as that's how I feel more confident but I haven't been struck by this with other interviewees.

Jaagojaago Wed 01-Feb-17 10:13:34

Thanks all will go with what I've got then!

CatAmongPigeons Wed 01-Feb-17 10:44:25

Sounds fine.

If it were me, I'd ditch the leggings for thick black tights, and add a jacket. But that's my style & preference.

But don't wear false eyelashes! Interviewed someone a few years ago who was dressed rather bizarrely & one of her (quite long & big) false eyelashes was coming detached. We were all mesmerised by wondering if it was going to fall off mid-sentence, and really, overall, frankly she looked as though she'd slept all night in her clothes & make-up.

What you're aiming for is for your clothes not to be noticed, really.

geekaMaxima Wed 01-Feb-17 11:53:06

It sounds perfectly fine, and if you're comfortable in it, you'll feel at ease, which will make the interview easier.

There is some difference between fields, though. I've interviewed in or sat on the interview panel of various different departments and they each have their own dress subculture. As a rough indication, business schools and clinical depts were the most formal (women usually in suits and heels), STEM was somewhere in the middle (women in tailored trousers or pencil/casual skirt, fitted shirt or fairly plain top, rarely heels), whereas humanities were least formal (women in casual trousers or skirt, plain or patterned top, sometimes a jacket over a funky top, never saw heels).

Ymmv but I found the differences interesting to observe! In each case, the interviewees were wearing a slightly more formal version of what lecturing staff wore day to day.

Foureyesarebetterthantwo Wed 01-Feb-17 12:15:46

I do agree if you are in a medical school or working with scientists (or are one) dress is a bit more formal.

Jaagojaago Wed 01-Feb-17 12:38:58

I am in the social sciences at the 'softer' end of the spectrum. So if economics and business was at one end, I am at the other. As in - my has got funding from AHRC and ESRC - so - my field floats between the two.

Jaagojaago Wed 01-Feb-17 12:39:14

My has got? I have got....

cleit Wed 12-Apr-17 18:01:38

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

FlyAwayPeter Thu 13-Apr-17 10:47:12

Anyone who contemplates taking a job writing dissertations for money so students commit fraud is not worth listening to. Eff off.

oliev Thu 11-May-17 15:47:13

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

GoatsFeet Thu 11-May-17 15:52:23

Oliev, reported for spam linking to criminal essay mills. Fuck off.

spinassienne Fri 12-May-17 13:39:59

I'd go for tights over leggings, and "proper" shoes over ballet pumps I have to say.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now