Talk

Advanced search

Early stages PhD support thread.

(8 Posts)
dailyshite Fri 30-Dec-16 15:52:05

Wondered if there is anyone in the same position as me who is interested in an independent support thread?

I'm in the very early stages of a PhD, doing lots of reading around and beginning to get my head around research paradigms etc. I know that I need to read articles which don't 'fit' with my 'world view' in order to be able to critique and demonstrate why the paradigm I have selected is the most appropriate, i've only read a couple of quotes and I can feel myself turned off already! How do people manage to remain open minded?

dickiedavieseyes Sun 01-Jan-17 01:22:37

Me too! I'm starting an EdD in January and have started some initial reading about paradigms and methods. I've been wondering exactly the same thing...

hhuckabees Sun 01-Jan-17 15:14:56

Great idea! I'm a few months in, so early stages really and have been doing the same. Lots of reading and not much else.

In terms of remaining open minded @daily, I try to think about the paradigms through the lens of the research question. Like you, I found it really easy to be turned off by a text if I felt it didn't fit with my worldview. I am now trying to critique and analyse texts very strictly in terms of my topic area, all the while reminding myself that it doesn't matter if I don't agree with it. One of my supervisors told me to try and think about what is best for your research questions/s, what are the tools you need to be able to answer it. A paradigm will be part of your toolkit, so try and analyse with this in mind.

What is your subject area? smile

dailyshite Sun 01-Jan-17 16:05:29

Its health based - lived experience of homeless families.

I've been trying to do that, ended up doing a bit of a tick box exercise in terms of which paradigms reflect the area that I am looking at but have a feeling that I need to read about each in more depth in order to really be able to justify and explain my thinking (with that final viva in mind wink ) and can already feel myself bristling when I read about how some paradigms interpret the knowledge around homelessness grin

What are your areas?

hhuckabees Mon 02-Jan-17 08:34:38

Sounds like an interesting subject, is there a lot of 'judgement' (cant think of a better word without coffee) in terms of how some of the lit approaches the issue then?
My PhD is psychology based-LGB sexual health so also an area that invites judgey pants opinions! grin

dailyshite Mon 02-Jan-17 18:54:36

Absolutely, looking at what causes homelessness currently - you can imagine the range of views grin

Yours sounds really interesting, I'm finding that this is an unexpected side effect, talking about really interesting things with really interesting people!

Are you doing yours full time? I'm part time, plus working full time, also have husband with a disability, two kids (one is autistic and has LD) and just found out i'm going to be a grandma for the second time (older step kids)!

tinymeteor Fri 06-Jan-17 13:01:30

Don't just read with a vague idea of being open minded and balanced. Write something based on it. Turn it into an output, even if only a short essay or blogpost. It might be possible to expand it into a journal article or a draft chapter down the line.

dailyshite Fri 06-Jan-17 19:16:16

Thats a great idea, I have absolutely been vaguely reading and drawing mind maps!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now