Talk

Advanced search

interview scheduled for when I a supposed to be lecturing - WWYD?

(8 Posts)
SaveMeTheWaltz Thu 08-Dec-16 10:18:26

I sessional lecture at two different institutions. University A has just shortlisted me for a permanent role. Unfortunately I am supposed to be delivering a lecture at University B at the time of the interview. It looks like my option are either 1) see if university A can rearrange the interview time (not very likely, and makes me look as if I don't want the job); 2) see if I can get someone at university B to cover my lecture (again, not very likely and will really annoy them); or 3) just call in sick to university B.

I much prefer working at university A and am not that fussed about getting a permanent role at University B. WWYD?

StripedTulip Thu 08-Dec-16 13:48:11

Get someone to cover for you, or rearrange lecture at University B.

you're right it will be pretty much impossible to re-schedule the interview. I'm on a panel for a new Professorship we'll be advertising next year. I already have been asked to hold a couple of dates in my diary for next March, as they are dates when a DVC or the VC are available. I know one VC who in a whole year, weekends included, had one evening at home without an appointment or event.

Foureyesarebetterthantwo Thu 08-Dec-16 23:04:49

Absolutely go to the interview, we have no flexibility about dates for interview for lectureships as it's so hard to get everyone together at our end.

Uni B will have to have someone cover or you call in sick or could you pre-record the lecture and send it as a pod-cast to the students and offer an office hour at another time for anyone who is interested, no-one ever comes. That way you offer all the hours, but don't have to be there for that session.

SaveMeTheWaltz Tue 13-Dec-16 18:40:28

Thanks both! I should have known that prioritising the interview would be the right course of action, I think that I just needed to type out the dilemma to work it out. Interview is tomorrow - wish me luck!

StripedTulip Tue 13-Dec-16 19:05:14

Buckets of luck for the interview. At least they know you, and you know them.

purplepandas Wed 14-Dec-16 22:18:22

Slow to this but how did you get on op? Hope it went well.

Foureyesarebetterthantwo Thu 15-Dec-16 09:51:43

Also hope it went well, but know how hard it is to get lectureships with all the other candidates being good too- fingeres crossed!

SaveMeTheWaltz Mon 19-Dec-16 11:14:45

Thanks everyone. The interview went well, but I haven't heard anything yet, which I am assuming means that I haven't been successful this time. To be honest, I'm happy just to be getting interviews at this stage; received wisdom seems to be that if you are getting interviews, you will eventually get a job - just hoping that is true!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now