Agh, grant rejection

(25 Posts)
imposteracademic Tue 24-May-16 19:53:40

I know it is to be expected but it is still bloody soul destroying when you get the email telling you that it is a no. It will be onwards and upwards to another funder after rejigging etc but I am just temporarily feeling sorry for myself tonight. You know how it is after such a huge amount of work has gone into these things. Some are long shots but I felt that this one fitted well with the funder. Agh well. Just venting really. Tomorrow is another day..

DoctorDoctor Tue 24-May-16 20:31:00

That's so frustrating. It's not grant related for me today but I have had a bad day in trying to get institutional progress for my research, so I too am feeling a bit sorry for myself.

NeverEverAnythingEver Tue 24-May-16 21:20:50

Commiseration. I had that earlier this year too. sad

FoggyBottom Wed 25-May-16 08:09:18

Commiseration. I'm waiting on a grant application rejection/award. With between 12 and 25% success rates, it's more likely to be a rejection even with pretty good peer reviews.

LikeDylanInTheMovies Wed 25-May-16 14:55:00

Was that the Leverhulme ECF? OP? I got the knock back from that yesterday. Commiserations.

imposteracademic Wed 25-May-16 20:04:08

Ah, sorry to hear that you got a rejection too LikeDylan. Mine wasn't Leverhulme ECF though. Much smaller in terms of funder. Sorry to hear that you had bad grant news earlier in the year too Never.

Foggy, fingers and toes tightly crossed. It's no news rather than bad news at the moment!

Doctor, I hope that you had a better day today.

MarasmeAbsolu Wed 25-May-16 20:23:01

bah sad
I am used to "NOs", but for the last rejection to the BIG grant on which I was counting (I went to "round 3" counting interview, it would have changed my life, no less --and freed me from teaching / admin hell--)...

... I had to cancel all my meetings to go hide under my desk and have a little cry (we have glass wall and no privacy).

imposteracademic Wed 25-May-16 22:10:45

Marasme, that sounds utterly crappy and understandable in equal measure. Round 3 is impressive but that makes it so much harder.

jclm Thu 26-May-16 10:51:56

Blue skies thinking here, is there any way of collaborating with the third sector? I'm fundraising for a charity and it seems very easy to get funding on this side. Eg awards for all lottery funding is about 80% hit rate I am told. You may be able to do some kind of community research project if this would work in your field? X

MrsDesperado Thu 26-May-16 21:30:12

Gah can I join in the misery, please? I just got the knock back from a fellowship app today after I was shortlisted. Similar to Marasme it would have changed my life sad Wondering whether I am ever going to get funded!

imposteracademic Thu 26-May-16 22:00:06

Will have a think jclm. Huge comisserations MrsDesperado, that is crappy news indeed. chocolate

bigkidsdidit Mon 30-May-16 18:50:24

Was it Dorothy Hodgkin Mrs? Me too sad

MrsDesperado Wed 01-Jun-16 07:27:51

Yes it was bigkids - sorry to hear you're in the same boat, it's a bummer eh?! At least we will get feedback eventually but I really think my choice of institution doesn't do me any favours. Have you any other applications in elsewhere?

esornep Wed 01-Jun-16 08:18:26

For those rejected from DH: bear in mind that the success rate is <8% and (especially given the current lack of funding opportunities in the UK) the quality of applications is high. Getting shortlisted is already a significant achievement, and indicates that you have the potential to get funding elsewhere.

bigkidsdidit Wed 01-Jun-16 14:28:35

Yes k do, MRC and wellcome. I think my proposal is ok, but it is very clinical and I don't know how hot DH are on that.

You?

MrsDesperado Wed 01-Jun-16 15:08:52

Well done for getting other applications in bigkids - that's a lot of work there in itself. Fingers crossed one of those delivers for you. I don't have any more in and probably will leave it this year - I want to get a couple of papers out first.

Thanks for the encouragement esornep

bigkidsdidit Wed 01-Jun-16 17:01:47

My contract finishes in December so I have to!

KurtseyAllslop Wed 01-Jun-16 17:08:45

I win. I had two papers and a grant rejected today. One of the papers was rejected with a peer review peppered with personal insults. Bonus.

I've got a promotion application in which hinges on these two papers and the grant. Guess that'll be a 'no' in the coming weeks too.

Pass the wine.

bigkidsdidit Wed 01-Jun-16 17:10:03

Oh no sad what a fucking day

wine

MrsDesperado Wed 01-Jun-16 17:25:02

Bloody hell! Commiserations.
Here you go wine

imposteracademic Fri 03-Jun-16 20:30:12

Sorry to hear that Kurtsey. Some heading your way and to all those facing paper and grant rejection.

imposteracademic Fri 03-Jun-16 20:30:41

Wine. Not some .

MarasmeAbsolu Sat 04-Jun-16 20:09:21

that's shit Kurtsey - re personal insults: write to the editor: they are there to redact that crap out. If they do not it is theirs and the journal failure.

rejection: I always felt they come in 3s - when I get one... I brace myself
winewinewine

murmuration Tue 07-Jun-16 08:18:20

Got an unexpected rejection today - unexpected because I thought the replies were coming at the end of July, not the beginning of June! Got a really bad feeling when I saw email, and then waiting for it to load, argh! sad

It's just so soul-destroying. I've had no funding since mat leave 4 years ago, despite putting in several applications a year. And I had some real hopes for this one, too.

And today was scheduled for some serious work on my next application. When you put in all that work, and nothing comes of it, it is so hard to get up the motivation to do it again, and again, and again.

I'm planning to apply for promotion as soon as I get grant funding - well, not next year then. The longer I go post mat leave with no one in my group, and thus no work coming out (because I'm spending all my time writing unsuccessful grant applications), the harder it is to get funding, and it's only going to get worse and worse. I'm really not seeing a way out of this hole.

LineyReborn Tue 07-Jun-16 08:35:35

Kurtsey, When you can face it, you might want to challenge the editor on that.

I did once - I received a peer review back with a load of sexist remarks throughout! - and the editor (a professor) was suitably embarrassed when I took issue with them. It made me think very differently about that prof from then on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now