Not short-listed within own uni - my age?

(7 Posts)
Eleanor09 Sat 14-May-16 20:37:16

I applied for teaching posts in the uni in which I'm presently working in an academic support role.

I used to teach the courses in question but took my present job a few years ago because, unlike the temporary teaching posts, it was permanent and full-time. However, I've missed teaching a great deal and it is something that I can do well - observation reports were always very positive. In order to keep my skills fresh, I teach night classes (in a different institution).

Anyway, despite the fact that I work closely with the teaching tram - both in my present role and, of course, in the past - I wasn't selected for interview. I know the panel can select whosoever it chooses to, but I do feel let down and very upset. My predessors are now teaching - the role I have now is a very likely route.

My present role is OK - I work hard and have been able to innovate and do things but, ultimately, it isn't what I came into education to do and, importantly, there is no progression - no possiblity of a higher grade, of promotion, of more responsibility unless picked for a teaching job. Odd for a univeristy that prides itself on investing in staff progression.

I have applied for lecturing post elsewhere - it sounds great - and I think I fit the bill (though I felt that about these jobs). I know I need to look outwards - not only to be able to earn more (which is badly needed - DCs at uni and DH earning very little, through not fault of his own) but to be able to do what I'm good at and enjoy in the time I've got left to work. And that's perhaps what's really troubling me - I'm now 60 and fearful that I may have left it too late to get on once again. I've worked in other sectors - schools and FE and would be happy to return to either one of them though my age might count against me even more than it possibly does in HE.

I don't know if there's any point asking for application feedback at this stage? And I don't know if I should speak to the union or HR - I think I have been over-looked but, again, is that something that I can really remonstrate about or would I be better off shaking off my upset and looking out for other possibilities? Any thoughts would be most welcome.

saoirse31 Sun 15-May-16 00:58:45

Hi, I think first thing you need to do is look for feedback on interview. Then can you talk to someone either your manager or someone senior you can trust and see what comes out of those conversations. No pt involving union or hr initially. Good luck.

purplepandas Sun 15-May-16 19:55:23

I agree about asking for feedback. That would be my first port of call too. Sorry to hear that things have been tricky and I hope that you get some constructive feedback.

MarasmeAbsolu Tue 17-May-16 09:39:40

First, ask for feedback - it is always worth it.
Second, ask for a meeting with your own manager, to go through the essential criteria, and how well you matched them, with an objective eye.
Is your uni looking for something extra that you cannot (yet) offer?
In certain disciplines, it may be chartered practitioners, or people with substantial scholarship funding, or advanced IT skills or New techs skills... who knows.

impostersyndrome Wed 18-May-16 06:09:54

Sorry for your disappointment. Have you checked that you demonstrated in your application that you're up-to-date on the latest research (or skills if more relevant) in the field? If you haven't taught the courses for several years, perhaps it gave the impression that you weren't able to provide fresh material?

100greenbottles Wed 18-May-16 06:17:00

Ask someone on the panel informally. I hope they are helpful.

VegasIsBest Wed 18-May-16 06:43:29

I also wonder if the issue is research. There is greater focus on research and innovation at all universities so they aren't looking for 'teachers' but for academic staff who can teach and research.

Is there any opportunity for progression on the academic support side by moving into a role with more management responsibilities?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now