Talk

Advanced search

External examining for the first time - nervous!

(3 Posts)
imposteracademic Mon 09-May-16 21:15:09

Hello

I am acting as an external examiner this week for the first time and wondered if anyone had any pearls of wisdom. I am really nervous! I have done the report etc and have some questions. Lots on this week and feel that I should be more prepared than I am. Hoping this is a relatively pain free experience of all (student included).

Levithecat Tue 10-May-16 12:41:33

Is it a good thesis? That helps smile If the student is good then it goes quickly and is usually a fun and robust discussion & a chance for the student to show their enthusiasm. If we are pretty certain they'll pass I try to give some indication at the start, eg expressing how much I enjoyed reading their work and pointing out a few strengths.

Hope you enjoy it, and remember you were chosen for a reason! You'll definitely have something to contribute.

imposteracademic Tue 10-May-16 19:29:07

Thanks Levit. Yes, a good thesis thankfully. I am really pleased about that. Bizarrely I then worry that I don't have enough tough questions. It's good quality and I do have some questions etc of course. Looking forward to hearing what the other examiner thinks. I worry that I have it all wrong ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now