External examining for the first time - nervous!

(3 Posts)
imposteracademic Mon 09-May-16 21:15:09

Hello

I am acting as an external examiner this week for the first time and wondered if anyone had any pearls of wisdom. I am really nervous! I have done the report etc and have some questions. Lots on this week and feel that I should be more prepared than I am. Hoping this is a relatively pain free experience of all (student included).

OP’s posts: |
Levithecat Tue 10-May-16 12:41:33

Is it a good thesis? That helps smile If the student is good then it goes quickly and is usually a fun and robust discussion & a chance for the student to show their enthusiasm. If we are pretty certain they'll pass I try to give some indication at the start, eg expressing how much I enjoyed reading their work and pointing out a few strengths.

Hope you enjoy it, and remember you were chosen for a reason! You'll definitely have something to contribute.

imposteracademic Tue 10-May-16 19:29:07

Thanks Levit. Yes, a good thesis thankfully. I am really pleased about that. Bizarrely I then worry that I don't have enough tough questions. It's good quality and I do have some questions etc of course. Looking forward to hearing what the other examiner thinks. I worry that I have it all wrong ...

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in