Moving HEIs after less than a year

(9 Posts)
purplepandas Thu 14-Apr-16 22:36:55

It's always tricky to write something without outing yourself. I am currently very happy in my newish job at a uni. A job with promotion has been advertised at another uni and it is too good an opportunity to miss. I feel hugely guilty even thinking about applying for it but I would be seriously crazy not to. It is v specific to me for various reasons and there has been some pressure to apply directly by host uni.

I have only been at my current HEI since Sept 2015 so it might mean only a year in post if I got it (a big if of course). Would others go for it? I am a v loyal and honest person so it feels very underhand but opportunities rarely come up like this.

lljkk Fri 15-Apr-16 09:20:49

Grab it before you lose it! Who will write you a good reference?

purplepandas Fri 15-Apr-16 09:50:54

Thanks lljkk. Refs not a problem. Guilt and loyalty are!

throckenholt Fri 15-Apr-16 11:07:26

Your current employers will understand - they know you have to take the choices that are best for your career - they are probably expecting it - they must be aware of the other job if it is a rival in the same subject area.

purplepandas Fri 15-Apr-16 15:20:25

Thanks for replying too *throckenholt", I appreciate it. I suspect that you are right re job. I imagine that they are indeed aware. Thanks for the support from both of you. Will put it in tonight.

purplepandas Wed 20-Apr-16 11:24:02

Well, submitted and now have an interview. Feeling even more guilty now. Another year between moving (if successful) would be idea but opportunities don't work life that sadly. Has anyone else moved in such a short time frame? I know it's a job but I am crap at feeling I have let people down etc. I know I might not get it (or even take it if offered) but I am already stressing about this aspect.

hayita Wed 20-Apr-16 11:56:42

I don't think that most men would feel this way!

In reality the main way to progress in academia is by moving: institutions lose a lot of academics because they don't promote them fast enough internally. I can't see that your colleagues would blame you for taking a (rare) opportunity to apply for a more senior post. If you do get offered the position and they want to keep you, then it is up to them to make a counter offer.

Sadly many women don't progress as far as they should because they often don't have the freedom to apply for external posts, due to family constraints.

purplepandas Wed 20-Apr-16 12:12:06

Thanks Hayita, I know that you are right. Ironically I am v happy where I am but it is such a rare chance. Silly not to go for it. We will see. I do appreciate the reply. The emotional part is hard!

purplepandas Wed 20-Apr-16 12:13:24

And totally agree re the family situation. That has been the case for me and it is only in the last year or two that I have started to move in terms of progress.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now