Talk

Advanced search

Desperate for an academic break [sabbatical type]

(3 Posts)
MarasmeAbsolu Wed 13-Apr-16 17:14:26

Without wanting to go into too much details, my academic unit is "toxic" (personal interactions, attitudes), with a high teaching / admin burden. However we are "research intensive" and need to perform well in REF.

The atmosphere in the department is costing me, slowly, my sanity and I am rarely able to concentrate on research. I lead a biggish group and have plenty of paper drafts I should be focussing on - sadly, this never happens. There is not one day going without someone shouting, making threats, snide comments to someone else in the team.

I was advised to go on a research break to step away from my toxic environment and take stock - however, my kind institution does not offer sabbaticals (like most others) and I would be required to match my salary while I am away.
I would be very keen to hear from anyone who managed this in lifesciences / biomedical sciences / applied statistics... smile

CityDweller Thu 14-Apr-16 15:07:03

If your institution doesn't give sabbaticals then can you just request unpaid leave for a semester (if you can afford it)?

MarasmeAbsolu Thu 14-Apr-16 17:31:07

I cannot afford it! [and while i love what I do, I have very limited enthusiasm to contribute to my uni's REF output for free]

Anyone managed to find a specific grant / scheme for visiting fellowships or sabbaticals?

The one I was aware of (a regional research grant which worked as a buy-out for tenured people) has ended....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now