Talk

Advanced search

Is this realistic or am I deluded?

(6 Posts)
cheapandcheerful Mon 04-Apr-16 18:34:12

Hi everyone,

I am looking into the option of doing a part-time Psychology PhD, partially-funded by my employer (I am a teacher).

My plan is to continue to teach one day per week and to fit my PhD into school hours (9:30-2:30) on the other four days so as to be able to do school runs and be there for my children.

This would add up to 20 hours per week for the PhD.

Am I bonkers for thinking that I can manage my time like this? Or does this sound like a reasonable plan?

My dh is understandably concerned about the time commitment, especially as it would be 6 years of it!

Thanks.

buckingfrolicks Mon 04-Apr-16 18:53:10

I think you'll struggle to keep yourself motivated over 6 years.

I also think that the time you've allotted for PhD study would be better spent having a long full-on day somewhere, if you can, rather than those short timeslots, if you are ever to really crack on and focus

googlepoodle Tue 05-Apr-16 00:44:58

I agree with above poster. I think you will end up finding it very bitty and it will take over every spare moment. I would wait until your children are older - secondary school and you will have a much longer day when they are out the house. Could you start with a masters?

fluffikins Tue 05-Apr-16 16:06:17

Why do you want to do a PhD?

MatildaBeetham Tue 05-Apr-16 16:13:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AimUnder Tue 05-Apr-16 19:28:53

I don't think timing is an issue, in fact this way will probably be better as it'll be more productive.

However the bigger question is why do you want to do a PhD? My personal opinion is that it is a very long headache, and only go into it if you really have to!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now