Talk

Advanced search

PhD help disaster

(15 Posts)
ohnoppp Tue 09-Feb-16 21:36:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

goodenoughal Tue 09-Feb-16 21:41:17

Have you talked to your supervisor(s)? Or the internal examiner? Or asked your supervisors to talk to examiners?

Are the written instructions the formal ones received through the grad school (or equivalent)? If so, maybe try to stick to those?

ohnoppp Tue 09-Feb-16 21:44:15

rhetorician Tue 09-Feb-16 21:45:21

Is there someone that you can approach? In my institution the procedure would be that there would be a formal written report which would outline the revisions that needed to be made. These are overseen by (usually) the internal examiner - sometimes the examiners will give the student a more detailed set of guidelines in addition to the report. how long ago was the viva? And are you referring to the formal report?

ohnoppp Wed 10-Feb-16 06:47:31

Andfaraway Wed 10-Feb-16 18:11:44

Oh dear, two externals, and no internal to keep them in line ? grin

Your supervisor may have to approach them for clarification; otherwise, I think you're taking a sensible approach.

You could report upwards (or your supervisor could) to a DIrector of Doctoral studies or whatever the role is called in your institution, to note that the advice is vague & differs between examiners, and clarification received was contradictory. It could be grounds for appeal or a further time for further corrections after you resubmit.

Do you have a second viva on resubmission? That might ne a moment for querying Examiners' advice.

I had a student whose report was quite clear, but the copy of the thesis returned to the student by the Internal Examiner (with all the Internal's notes in it) supposedly to assist the student, ended up baffling them, but I think it was because they were in shock & demoralised by the revise & resubmit result in the first place. My advice to that student was to follow the letter of the Examiners' official joint written report.

ohnoppp Wed 10-Feb-16 20:38:02

Parietal Wed 10-Feb-16 21:38:18

Are the confusing instructions coming from both externals or just one? If just one, maybe you (or your supervisor) can go to the other form more guidance? the two examiners have to agree on what changes should be made, and only the changes specified on the official form need to be done.

your university should have a graduate school or similar who can also advise you, especially on what the regulations are for corrections and what would happen if the examiners aren't happy with the corrections. Is there going to be another viva?

ohnoppp Wed 10-Feb-16 21:46:51

Andfaraway Fri 12-Feb-16 18:14:07

Good that you're seeing student support.

And don't give in too much to a sense of failure. If they wanted to fail you, they would have. I have -- well, offered MPhil but no opportunity to revise & resubmit - we decided on the evidence of the viva that the candidate was not capable of doing the work required, and there was actually a question about it being the candidate's own work.

And don't assume that the examiner was displeased with you "very short." That could be their manner; they could have had a stinking cold or a bad headache, or arthritis flare up or whatever. I know I one of the 3 migraines I've had in my life after the viva when I failed a candidate ...

ohnoppp Fri 12-Feb-16 20:01:07

Andfaraway Sat 13-Feb-16 08:38:47

Oh that's good, ohnopp - I realise my last post could sound a bit harsh - not meant to. Just to reassure you that Revise & Resubmit is not a fail. THey'd have failed you if they'd wanted to! And they didn't.

I think that you may still be reeling a bit from the shock of feeling as if you had failed. And a vague Examiners' report doesn't help.

But you're doing absolutely the right thing in starting to tick off some of the changes you need to make. In this sort of work, the trick is to set up a cycle of virtuous reinforcement, rather than a cycle of failure. Writing & research is hard work, you need mental & physical resilience, and part of it is playing a mind game with yourself about doing little bits towards progress, rather than becoming paralysed I don't speak from personal experience, oh no oh no no no

Good luck! flowers

ohnoppp Sat 13-Feb-16 10:01:55

MarasmeAbsolu Mon 15-Feb-16 21:47:23

I find it surprising that there was not a convenor in the room, or at least an internal responsible to convey a clear set of instructions at the end of the viva sad

good luck!

ohnoppp Tue 16-Feb-16 10:03:20

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now